Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Fall ~


once
I was young


but now


I am old


eternity calls
 

come unto me


42 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's one of the draw backs about being alive isn't it?? ;)
xo Catherine

donna said...

This is a subject that's been on my mind alot lately.

donna

Steve Gravano said...

I agree with Catherine. The top and bottom photos are beautiful, nice light.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sue, this is so beautiful. And yet, there is still beauty present. Once there has been life, there is birth into eternity.
Andie

Vicky said...

You've expressed a common feeling very poignantly. Your plant is lovely and the burst of yellow has brightened my day :)

Mary said...

feeling every year today!!

Mrs. E said...

The way we all are headed. If we can only do it as lovely as a flower.

Sandy K. said...

Beautiful series of photos, which definitely give us the picture of "life." The key is the beauty at all the stages...inside and out.

Louise Gallagher said...

Yes -- as Sandy said -- the beauty at all stages, inside and out.

Lovely -- as always :)

cristie said...

"for thus alone can we be one." xox

Jennifer Richardson said...

perspective.
we're just a breath here,
bloom and then fade,
a drop in eternity.
-Jennifer

Ruth Hiebert said...

Wow,volumes are spoken here.I am in awe.
Ruth

ju-north said...

Superb as always!

Maureen said...

I find that last image full of beauty, in some ways more than can be seen in the first, because look at how much effort went into the blooming.

Christmas-etc... said...

Absolutely beautiful. And so true... I've often thought that's why God gives us flowers and animals to love - their lives are normally (not in the case of some! But for instance in this flower and in our dogs and cats) so much shorter than ours. It is a reminder to us to take care and not to waste the precious time given (it is a gift!) to us.
Blessings to you and thanks for this powerful post!
Ann

Linda said...

Just magnificent Susan!

SimplyDarlene said...

Sort of akin to your message, when we are young at heart all the brown, wrinkly stuff just doesn't matter!

Blessings.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

ab-so-lutly Stunning!!!!

Beth said...

But just as every phase of that flower had a 'beauty' to it, so does our lives. Inspirational, Susan.

Jewels said...

Beauty even in the old!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Feeling down today? Me too, just got back from the doctor. But you still create beauty from your feelings!

Dawning Inspiration said...

Oh - I've been dealing with this a lot myself lately!!

Misty said...

I agree with some of the others. I like the first and the last photo the best. Yes, we were born to die but where we spend eternity is what matters the most.

Rick said...

Poignant post, Susan - but full of hope, because we are worth infinitely more than the grass or flowers. Beautiful photos.

Duane Scott said...

Wow. This post has a calm, yet dark side to it.

Don't leave us yet... Etole.

We like you.

Joan Elizabeth said...

Its sad to contemplate the end but maturity has its own rewards ... you've selected one of my favourite colours and flowers today.

Tracy said...

How much I always greatly admire your your outer & inner eye, Susan...your special way of pairing words & photos that speak so well of the tender, fragility of life. :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

Caroline said...

Your photography often leaves me breathless. You truly are blessed with a special gift. Thank you for sharing it.
I had a "little" question. There is a quote you have at the bottom of your blog by eugene peterson. I really like this quote. Who is it that Peterson is referring to in the quote? Is it a character in his book or reference to a real person?
Thank you and blessings to you.

S. Etole said...

The book is based on the character of Jeremiah in the OT ... you might find the reviews on the following link interesting - http://www.amazon.com/Run-Horses-Eugene-H-Peterson/dp/0877849056

The book is on my "wish list" so I'm not sure who Peterson is referring to in the quote.

Anonymous said...

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

light!

his burden is light.

Caroline said...

Susan, thank you so much for getting back to me on the question.

Kass said...

There is beauty in the dropping of petals as there is in our shedding of this mortal coil.

ELK said...

beautifully captured .. begonias are pretty hardy.. I imagine you are as well!!

Sandra Heska King said...

Stunning photos and words.

Karen said...

I so enjoyed looking and reading! This post was an eye & heart catcher. Pat @ Back Porch Musings introduced you and so glad she did.

Unknown said...

is it your birthday??


that was my thought.

gorgeous. just gorgeous.

S. Etole said...

not quite yet, Deb ...

Unknown said...

Beautiful flowers proves there is such a thing as Spring.
I mean these flowers are a treat.

Relyn Lawson said...

I love your wide-open heart. Thank you for the encouragement I find in this space.

caryjo said...

Looking forward to "eternity" in many ways. However, I just hope I can go w/o my color fading and remaining that way for too long. Immediate Restoration.

Anne Lang Bundy said...

I hear eternity's call
deep within my soul
insistent, irresistible
it fades into the distance
voices of those once within me
insistent, irresistible

Anne Lang Bundy said...

PS ~ I LOVE the new blog look! Oh that my site might be poetic enough to get away with that lyrical font!