Monday, January 31, 2011

Needles 'n Thread ~

love
is the thread


that binds us
unknown


she bound the scarlet cord
in
the window
Joshua 2:21


a gentle heart
is tied
with
an easy thread
George Herbert


 he can thread
a needle
with a well-turned
phrase
Don Hewitt


 forgiveness
is the needle
that knows
how to mend
Jewel


 a thread
will tie
an honest man
better than a chain
a rogue
Scottish Proverb


until
the cord
be
broken
the bird cannot
fly
St. John of the Cross


your absence
has gone through me
like
thread
through a needle
everything I do
is stitched
with
its color
W. S. Merwin

  
 wanted: a needle swift enough
to sew this poem
into
a blanket
Charles Simic



42 comments:

Mrs. E said...

Beautiful words. Beautiful photos.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Precious words and pictures.
Ruth

Glenda said...

Something as simple as red thread woven into beautiful life lessons . . . beautiful and thought-provoking.

Beverly said...

How beautiful. I think this is my favorite.

Louise Gallagher said...

Oh my. You've done it again. Made my heart sing.

cristie said...

so many great thoughts and photos here. xox

Unknown said...

oh, as someone who just shut the light of on her machine, I'm smitten.

(you sew? what are you making. I made a camera strap, pj pants,and am working on a busy blanket for e's boy)

Anonymous said...

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.~Mark 10:25 is the one I was thinking of - hope you share your finished item when you are done :)These shots make me want to sew something fun for Valentine's Day!

S. Etole said...

Deb and Claudia, I used to make doll clothes and craft items to sell, so I was just having fun playing with some of the scraps. However, sewing a camera strap sounds like a fun project.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What wonderful quotes!! My favorites are St. John and the Scottish proverb. And what great pictures, you make a bobbin and presser foot into a work of art!

Ginny Hartzler said...

What wonderful quotes!! My favorites are St. John and the Scottish proverb. And what great pictures, you make a bobbin and presser foot into a work of art!

Caroline said...

Oh my...beautiful quotes and photos. I love the power of the red thread too!

Misty said...

Great macros!

ju-north said...

A post after my own heart! Wonderfully inspiring!

Joan Elizabeth said...

What a luscious luminous red.

Tracy said...

Glorious moments of the heart... The red thread makes the heart beat all the more... Especially lovely post today, Susan--Thank you! :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

Steve Gravano said...

Beautiful collection of words and photos. I needed that red thread to brighten up a gray day. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem!
xo Catherine

Maureen said...

What a wonderful color of thread for these paired images and quotes. Such interesting shots.

Jennifer Richardson said...

This is a gourmet meal
for the eyes and heart!
You amaze me.....creativity
without bounds!
Thank you for such a
nourishing post!
-Jennifer

MadSnapper n Beau said...

perfect thoughts with perfect photos. wow, these are really good photos, what kind of camera do you use, your photos are always awesome and i am one who knows the talent is with the photographer and not the camera. just wondering. you have the gift to "see" and to write. you are blessed.

ELK said...

each quote is really such a match for your endearing images of thread..bobbin in red

rachel awes said...

these photos are
breathtaking.
i sit w/them
in the silence.
ahhhh. xo

Anonymous said...

Each and every time I stop by, I am inspired! Beautiful!

I would love to mention your site at the Back Porch. Would that be okay?

S. Etole said...

Thank you, Pat ... it would be a privilege.

Sandra, I use a Kodak 980Z ... a hefty point and shoot.

The comments all of you leave are an encouragement ... thank you!

Leslie said...

What you do with a camera and a needle and thread : )

Love the way you bound the words with your photos...

Nancy said...

This has to be one of my favorites.....great post......

SimplyDarlene said...

Susan--I LOVE THIS!

You may have just encouraged me to unpack my 60-year old Bernina and find a spool of red. Could this be my favorite? "Why yes, ma'am, I reckon so!"

Blessings.

SimplyDarlene said...

Oh yes, maybe we can convince Deb to give us a camera strap tutorial?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this beautiful, moving post.

Jewels said...

love how you tied all these together!

beth said...

you're already onto valentines day....i need to start thinking about that myself.....love all the red :)

Emily Young said...

So beautiful! Your photos gave that needle and thread personality. And I love the selection of quotes...

Rick said...

Often it's the simple things in life that are beautiful and your photos prove the point. Wonderful quotes.

Beth said...

What you can do with that camera of yours and your artist's eye is truly amazing. You took simple every day objects, photographed them, added quotes, and gave us a wonderful 'story'. Thank you.

Sandy K. said...

What a great idea for a photography sequence! And the messages are wonderful missives for us all. Thank you:)

Dawning Inspiration said...

Oh my - your creativity just astounds me! Love this - so beautifully done!

rjerdee said...

Wow, you surely know how to thread the needle!!!! Such a graceful post.

Memories Of Mine said...

I just posted on another bog about how I love red.

BTW: your morning fog photos are STUNNING. I love the sepia one.

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

So special. This post is one of my favorites.

Sandra Heska King said...

Oh. Susan.

And you know how I feel about red.

Anne Lang Bundy said...

Red was already my favorite color. :D

And you, as always, are a delight. ♥