the most important things
are the hardest
to say
because words diminish them
Stephen King
kind words can be short and easy to speak
but their echoes are truly endless
Mother Teresa
pleasant words are as a honeycomb
sweet to the mind
and healing to the body
Proverbs 16:4
to listen well
is as powerful
a means of communication
and
influence
as to talk well
John Marshall
Calvin: Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts.
I wonder why we think faster than we speak.
Hobbes: Probably so we can think twice.
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes
Hobbes: Probably so we can think twice.
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes
~ ~ ~
{telephone cord and its shadow}





40 comments:
Really good quotes. The things you see in everyday objects just amazes me, this is a stunning set of pictures.
Nice!
What a clever and creative post! Your brain must always be in a whirl, thinking, thinking, thinking!
Those are such creative photos! Very clever you are!
xo Catherine
Okay, you've got me looking at every day objects with a new eye, but I wouldn't have thought to do a series of a phone cord and then use it to impart such a meaningful and much needed message. But then, that's why we all love you! You made that cord and its shadow truly a work of art.
So true about words as you know I had a recent lesson in. The boy came back yesterday and I greeted him at the door to my room with nothing but kind, helpful words and he positively glowed.
I esp. like the way you ended this with my all-time favorite comic characters --Calvin and Hobbes. Super! :)
Very nice set and well thought out. Don't know how you do it. Regards Kev
nicely thought out and shadows seen. I dare say there might be some (ahem) "younger" bloggers out there that might not recognize what that cord goes to ;)
~Claudia
I was at my parents' house with Phillip a few weeks back. We were out in my dad's workshop and P spotted a corded phone with a rotary dial on the wall. He thought we were in a museum.
Words mean things, don't they? Very nice post.
donna
ah yes .. the power of words .. and a creative photographer!!
your post are always, always powerful and speak to me. I am a big fan of calvin and hobbes so love that quote the most. all of the quotes are oh so true. the last shot is fantabulous... and the others are sooooo creative. and the phone cord is perfect for this post. you are so very, very talented
what beautifully poetic photos and quotes.
i love this post!
i think i need to read your words at least one more time now.
:)
fascinating photo and word study... and of course you hooked me with the calvin and hobbes quote : )
Oh words, words, words. So meaningful. So easy to misunderstand.
Your posts get better and better each day.
Love how you've captured the phone cord. Love the twistiness of it, like some peoples' words can become.
Interesting take on the potentially tangled coils that "words" can present.
Great pictures!
This is great! If you have a chance, pop on over to Ruth's blog -- she's written a piece on typesetting. http://ruthie822.blogspot.com/
I love the delicacy of the white cord and its shadows... like the tenuous nature of our hardest-expressed words.
Beautiful.
This is a lovely way to get one thinking about our words.Thanks.
Ruth
Beautiful! I was talking just last evening to a young friend about the importance of words!
Great quotes and wonderful contrasts of white and black.
Oohh how i love this post Susan.
And Calvin and Hobbes....true friends of my oldest. Only here they are called Casper and Hobbes....to funny.
Glad they can chear you up too.
Hugs Dagmar
fun, wonderful, thoughtful words
This is a favorite of mine of yours. :)
Loved the Stephen King quote. SO TRUE!
you create sooo much out of sooo little. i love this sue. xox
Only you would think to take a photo of a phone cord. Perfect pictures. Perfect words. Communicated nicely.
Telephone cords do transmit so many words don't they.....smart lady you are......thanks for reminding us how important our words are...we can use them for healing or for pain....
Such a clever way to look
at telephone cords!
And the wisdom of the ages
through Calvin and Hobbes!
Love, love, love
-Jennifer
You truly have your eyes, heart, and mind open to the things around you . . . and God has blessed you with an amazing ability to encourage and teach with words and photos! These are all such meaningful quotes!
If you hadn't said it was the phone cord, I would've seen it. Sometimes I'm just amazed at the creativity that hits your writing and your photos. I wouldn't have come up with those... forever and ever.
Great quotes, Susan, and I agree with the other - Calvin & Hobbes quote is tops. Very creative photos, too.
another favourite quote about words is from Proverbs - "A kind word turns away wrath".
and one more ... we were given 2 ears and 1 mouth so we could listen twice as much as we speak
You are a gifted artist Susan. What a perfectly wonderful idea to use the phone cord to illustrate these amazing quotes. I think I like the John Marshall one the best. It's something I'm working on :-)
LOVE this....so cool.
Love the lighting and shadows... fabulously creative!
What a superb collection of images and quotes. If we can think faster than we speak why on earth do we speak 'wrong' so often?
Once again, beautiful images with a thought-provoking message. Thank you.
it is the most important things that are the hardest to say. very true
One of the best blog posts ever! Excellent, no...really excellent!
No one can capture such depth with such simplicity as you. I am stunned - as I was in Winter Bones too -
Thank you, thank you -
I awoke this morning to these words in my mind from Psalm 19:14: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer." Your photos and quotes are timely. I love the symbolic telephone cord.
I love this post! And, I love the calvin and hobbes quote! I have that problem - not being able to keep up with my thoughts.
Powerful communication here, Susan.
Great quotes, especially the one from Stephen King.
Congrats on POTW from Hilary!
Jane
Post a Comment