Sunday, January 29, 2012

The January Blues ~


the old cathedrals
are good
but the great blue dome
that hangs over
everything
is better
Thomas Carlyle

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazingly beautiful!

JofIndia said...

Beautifully captured..

Ginny Hartzler said...

A great quote, and that second picture is amazing! It ALMOST makes me want icicles so I can try!! I've only done far aways of them.

Anonymous said...

just look at the little drip dropping!

Brandee Shafer said...

Beautiful, but you be careful standing under those icicles like that! They hurt when they fall and hit! You brave photographer, you! <3

Pugelicious said...

Amazing ice photographs, I bet you will be looking forward to the warmer weather.

ju-north said...

Fantastic colours! So true!

Beth said...

This is a wonderful quote and so true. It kinds of puts folks and our lofty ideas of worship places 'in our place' by pointing out the true grandeur is in God's creation not ours.
Awesome photos, Susie.
I've not been taking much lately.
Thanks for checking on me. It's been a tough week--painful emotionally and physically, but I am better. :>)

Joan Elizabeth said...

I find this very funny because our skies are usually blue and full of sunshine in January but have been overcast nearly all month. We think we are living in England!

Anonymous said...

January and February tend to be a little bit more blue and blah don't they? But your photos are terrific!
xo Catherine

Muffy's Marks said...

Were you at my house? We have icicles hanging from the roof also. This too shall pass. Beautiful photos.

Tracy said...

Winter ending soon... Oh, I hope so, Susan! We're more than ankle deep in snow & bitter cold over here. But even so, there is something so special about winter skies. And the great dome of blue is a beautiful blanket over us. And the great outdoors more beautiful than any cathedral. :o) Happy Week ((HUGS))

Steve Gravano said...

Feels that way here too. Yesterday I did some yard work. The Snowdrops are up and blooming already. I picked up some litter along the highway side of our property and found a tea container full of ants. This is still January!I hope that I'm not too early in uncovering the Sedum.

Anonymous said...

I love the blue! Ice photos are always so pretty to me, and yours are gorgeous!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

and beautiful blues they are. so pretty and I know you are ready for them to melt. we are freezing today, at 49 at wake up with a much colder wind chill, but just for today and our warm will return

Anonymous said...

Beautiful January blues, Susan.

Patricia said...

Simply beautiful!

Megan Willome said...

Hoping to get under that outdoor cathedral with my snowshoes. No better place to worship.

Nancy said...

What a beautiful contrast of the blue and the white...
God's creation is truly amazing and you captured it beautifully....

Leslie said...

Oh, I couldn't agree more with Thomas Carlyle.

Ruth Hiebert said...

These are gorgeous. The blue sky makes the icicles really stand out.

Maureen said...

This year's winter in the D.C. area is so strange, though we are heading into February, which usually holds a lot of surprises.

How you've captured that tiny drop of water, suspended as it is, is marvelous, Susan.

Vicky said...

Just look at that drop falling- so clear an perfectly round. The blue in the sky is so saturated and pretty and your quote just sums it all up so well!

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

There's beauty in those words. Hope you can soak up a little sunshine just the same.

Hazel said...

can fel the sharpness in the air! Beautiful blues too. x

cristie said...

the perfect quote for your exquisite photos! xox

Dawning Inspiration said...

So pretty...

One of my favorite things in January is blue sky and bare trees... love them!

Rick said...

Beautiful blue - and a hopeful caption !

Linda said...

It is so brilliant and clear I feel as though I could reach out and touch it.
I hope winter will be over for you soon. I want things to warm up for that sweet little bird.

Unknown said...

Such wonderful shots..

caryjo said...

Ending sooner than we ever would have thought would happen. Wonder when/if Winter hits how will we act? It's too warm for this time of the year. Love your colors.

Carol Garvin said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos, Susan and, as always, a perfect complement to the quotation. Our snow of last week has almost disappeared... washed away in days and days of rain. As January ends I'm hoping February will bring early hints of springtime. It often happens here.

Kissed-by-the-Wind said...

I think we are in a mixed bag this year. I love the icecicles. Just want to grab one and take a bit!!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

See now? This is what I'm talking about. Incredible. And you even caught that drop before it fell out of view. Amazing.

Patricia said...

Spectacular color, timing and clarity... wow!

Anonymous said...

Inspiring photography!
Nature is wonderful at any time of year - even when the icicles hang down on a chilly day like to-day in my part of the world.

Glenda said...

I like the melting drip on the last shot - especially against the blue, blue sky!

Sandra Heska King said...

Dripping beauty. As always.

Tammy said...

I love that little water droplet at the end of you icicle!

Sheila said...

Amazing images. This icicle tourist is impressed.

And that quote? The perfect foil to your art. Thank you for sharing.