Thursday, January 26, 2012

It Isn't Pretty ~

but it works
{my arthritic thumb that is}
I imagine there are some of you
who at one time
had a teacher
who was less than encouraging

my encounter with
such a teacher 
was in a
one-room
country schoolhouse
when I was six
all eight grades were present

having held up
the picture of an apple
I had drawn for an assignment
as an occasion
for laughter as to its merits
she not so kindly said
"you can't draw"

so I didn't

ever

one year
twelve years ago
I was given a sketch pad 
and a drawing pencil
as a gift

it was a challenge

as you can see
the teacher was partly right
and partly wrong

but it was fun

trying
 : : :
for some lovely
photos
on
"Anatomy"
please pay a visit
to
"3"


31 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

YOU CAN draw!!! the teacher was wrong. it looks wonderful from here.. congratulations and keep on drawing.

cristie said...

amazing, the voices in our head...put that one to rest. xox

Maureen said...

In so many instances the word "can't" should be forbidden, especially when uttered from a teacher's mouth.

Given the number of artists who are going for their iPads, I hope you'll keep picking up those pencils.

Carol Garvin said...

I agree with Maureen... the word "can't" should be banished from our vocabulary. It suggests we shouldn't try, and that's just plain wrong!

P.S. I think it's a great sketch. Keep at it! There is no such thing as perfection in art, only perception.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This was definitely a BAD teacher! People should not squash others efforts, and teachers should know that! I guess we all have our favorite teachers, and the bad ones, too. But the thing is, you are an ARTIST!!! This is beautiful!!! Keep sketching and show us. I can't even draw a respectable stick figure!

Kelly Sauer said...

Yeah, I could not do that. My best drawings are TRACINGS. And I love the photo of the drawing of the hand being held by a hand - the levels are intriguing!

So glad you linked up with us a Three!

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

It's sad when we're told We Can't. And from a teacher or parent it's so much worse. Glad you picked up pencil and paper again.. You are wonderfully artistic!

Claudia said...

oh how sad, perhaps it was the teacher who couldn't see! I think once we're artsy always artsy... it's a matter of what we choose to spend our time developing (small photography pun ;).

But isn't it fun to go outside the comfort zone of our box and see that "hey, I guess I can draw...or paint...or make jewelry ;)" I say hooray for you, I'm giving you a thumbs up ;D (pun intended)

Anonymous said...

I think you can try mighty fine! Charles Dickens responded to someone who sent him a manuscript asking the great writer if he had creative ability, talent. Dickens replied, "For all I know, the land is yours by right." I used that quote in my preface for my master's thesis, a creative project - I used that quote in response to my adviser who told me I had no creative ability whatsoever. Ironically, the dean of the graduate program called the English Department and informed the chair it was the best creative project she had ever read.

I am so glad you are drawing, that you are discovering this land that is yours by right.

Dea Moore said...

I turned in a paper in the seventh grade and the teacher wrote in red ink, "Did you father write this?" I had interviewed him about his job as an assignment and then wrote about it. I was crushed. My mother had to call the teacher, a woman she and my father had graduated high school with, to insist that he had not written it. I remember all these years later.

Still I write...and I am thinking, I should interview him again thirty plus years later :) I bet the paper would be "mighty fine."

rjerdee said...

I can relate...the things they tell you as a child have a way of shaping our ideas about ourselves...that uneducated teacher..erase her.

Anonymous said...

The teacher was indeed totally wrong! That drawing is terrific! It makes me sad when teachers crush children's spirits. I'm glad you you gave it another try - good for you!
xo Catherine

Glenda said...

The power of words! So glad you decided to try again . . . great drawing!

Linda said...

Oh the power of words Susan. I'm so glad you picked up a pencil again. I think your work is really good, and I imagine it brings you much joy.

caryjo said...

I could talk too long on this, say too much... which is certainly not part of my personality, right?? [Rolling your eyes?] Your drawing is wonderful. And other forms of art... your wonderful collage [sp] you put together for your parents for Christmas when I was staying with you back in '74. Whether drawing or organizing/choosing you have wonderful skills. NOW the photos. God has poured creative gift abilities on you.

NOW. Teacher comments that change us. In our senior year, when we were practicing for a portion of Handel "Messiah" and I was given a short solo. The pianist, the music leader's wife, said, basically, that I could sing, but... they'd just have to put up with it. Mostly, other than the fact that I did pretty well, she shut me down.

Now I'll shut up and go away... but you really are a creatively heart-filled lady.

Anonymous said...

Well, now you draw, and you do it very well.
I hope that you enjoy doing it.
It can be such fun.
And thank you for showing us.

michelle ortega said...

Beautiful! Thank you for listening to the voice of Truth in your heart and taking the leap to draw! I love the photo, thumb and sketch together. :-)

Ruth Hiebert said...

Yes, you can draw. I admire people who can draw.That is definitely not one of my talents.

Steve Gravano said...

Well, it looks pretty good to me! I'd say you can draw, and draw fairly well..
During my knee operation they discovered arthritis, not fun.

Louise Gallagher said...

I love when we prove the 'cant's' wrong!

It makes me wonder... what else do I tell myself I can't do that i can if I just let go of believing the can't?

:)

Rick said...

Ah yes, unfortunately most of us have had such an experience. I often wonder whether people realize what effect - positive or negative - they can have on a child (well, adults too). Very nicely drawn, Susan. (oh, I attended a similar 8-grades-in-8-rows country school house - with 1 teacher !).

Loved your snow-covered boughs !

ju-north said...

Oh, the power of words! Be inspired and blessed as you inspire and bless others! x

Joan Elizabeth said...

There is a lesson in this to think about the power of the words we say.

Patricia said...

Oh, I'm so glad I didn't miss learning this part of who you are. I know you have an artist's eye. Now I know you have an artist's hand as well. Such a beautiful sharing... and I love it when you write. =)

Leslie said...

how sad that she discouraged such an artistic person... yet how glad i am that you picked up a pencil again.

Lyla Willingham Lindquist said...

I trust that artist's sketch pad has more pages for you to fill.

spread your wings said...

hands are the hardest thing to draw and i'd say your's is very good. you can draw!

Unknown said...

Hugs to you in this Susan.
I have such a swirl of both negative and positive voice in my head. Strange how we let one over power the other at times.

Hazel said...

The greatest thing creative folks have to fight is that insidious inner critic; - the voice that usually began way back with somebody authoritative.
How good that you have begun to silence it by drawing beautifully, and bringing such lovely images and words together to enrich so many of us.
Just goes to show how powerful our words can be.
Thank you for choosing to be an encourager with the words you choose. x

Patricia said...

Wow, Susan!!! I think that's fantastic. You most certainly can draw, and write, and photograph, and......wow!

Anonymous said...

not only can you draw, you can draw one of the most difficult things to draw!

she can't teach