Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Riven Heart ~

I had decided to bypass the biweekly Blog Carnival this time around. Number 1, I’m not a writer, not a “real” one anyway; and number two, somehow the word “grief” didn’t seem to fit into the whole December, “Holly Jolly, Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Gentlemen,” scenario. But, yes, into December’s grand celebration it comes. Grief unwrapped, unsolicited, unplanned. Not on anyone’s Christmas list. Very much a reality this time of year, very often intensified this time of year. How grateful I am that we can celebrate the gift of a Savior that came to heal the brokenhearted and set the captives free. Even in December.

Grief ~
written
spoken
lived
“out there”
for
all to see

so very difficult
to share
that
riven part
of me

that heart that
shattered
broke
betrayed
the image
of my imagined strength

grief
that brought
me to my knees

grief
that bore so
deep a wound
that words
in terror fled

grief
my riven heart
He holds
and sends
His Son
to make
me whole


20 comments:

Dagmar said...

This one is lovely. I can feel the grieve all over my body and be thankful too. Let's not forget.

Glynn said...

That poem is written by someone who knows grief. And it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Love your picture!

nancy neva gagliano said...

powerful, and gentle, and perfect little tear on the leaf.
i know that grief.
i know that lost
that takes you to your knees.

i know you are a real writer.
one of my postings a couple of months ago was called I AM NOT AN ARTIST....and i know better. but i understand. i'm not a real one. i decided i'm a practicing artist.
you are a writer.
i am an artist.
we know what being on our knees means.

Anonymous said...

what does it take for one to be recognised as a "real" writer, i wonder? i see many of us struggle with this...

cristie said...

lovely...an honest expression of the broken hearted. the miracle of the season is the perfect gift of healing. xox

Janet Oberholtzer said...

I like this ... glad you changed your mind about joining the carnival.

I especially like this word picture ...
"He holds
and sends
His Son
to make
me whole."

Vicky said...

Oh, I kindly beg to differ, you are indeed a writer :) Thank you for your kind words on my blog today. I feel another door opening :)

Jojo Agot said...

If someone like you who knows her way with words claims she's not a writer, then I don't know what a writer is!

Peter P said...

I think many of us had decided to skip the carnival because the word was just too hard or didn't fit with how we wanted to feel this Christmas time.

I'm glad that so many of us, including you have stepped past that and shared what God has laid on our hearts.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem

Unknown said...

.... all of my favorite christmas songs are the old minor key sad sounding ones. My husband explained that in the liturgical setting, the weeks leading up to Christmas are heavy with expectancy and melancholy. That it's not until Christmas day that the jubilant angelic refrains blast out their good news. For those in grieving - grief knows no calendar. I love your post title. Beautiful with meaning.

jasonS said...

This is beautiful- thank you.

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy you didn't skip this time... this is beautiful and I love that you shared it with us!

Jewels said...

Amen! There is no other way to find wholeness and healing.

e.o.w. said...

Isn't it amazing how times such as Advent and Lent seem to be written into the liturgical year as natural cycles of healing? I love how we turn inward during the winter months, sitting still, allowing for grief to move through us...

This post was a Joy to read. Thank you.

Louise Gallagher said...

I love this entire poem and am grateful you decided to share.

This is very powerful for me.

grief

that bore so

deep a wound

that words

in terror fled

Thank you.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

this is really nice- and yes, so true.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure what to say here in that sacred space after your heart.

Bernadette Pabon ,Teacher, Director of CCD, Author said...

Grieve can also stop your life forever. We must grieve but we must move on with life. Other wise we can stay in the deep dark whole of death. For God has made us strong, and He will overcome.

Mrs. E said...

You know grief. Anyone else who knows grief--knows exactly what you are talking about. Don't tell me you aren't a writer. Oh, you are!