Saturday, August 16, 2014

Expectations ~

"She had long accepted the fact
that happiness is like
 swallows in
Spring.
 It may come and nest under
your eaves or it may not.
 You cannot command it.
 When you expect to
 be happy you are not,
 when you don't
expect to be happy
 there's suddenly
Easter in your soul,
 though it be midwinter.” 
Elizabeth Goudge
*  *  *
the fledglings are
I believe they were
*  *  *
may you find unexpected
happiness dwelling in your heart

 

23 comments:

rjerdee said...

Thank you, Susan. And may your day be filled with beauty :)

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. May God richly bless you today, Susan.

Leslie said...

And you...

Vicky said...

Those words are exquisite, as is the photo and art you've made. So talented Susan. I feel blessed by my visits here.

Barbara said...

This is beautiful, your birds are stunning.

Gayle said...

I love everything about this! The browns, the swallows, the type, the vintage feel, and of course the beauty and wisdom of the quote.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

the sweet little birds put a song in my heart.

Linda said...

I could never hope to pick a favorite post, Susie, because I truly love them all. But this one…this speaks to my heart in such a special way. xoxo

Maureen said...

I haven't come across Elizabeth Goudge's name in years. Lovely quote.

Beth said...

Lovely quote and such cute birds! I put up a sign in my room that says: "Happiness is not a destination, but a way of life."

Ginny Hartzler said...

I totally agree! Joy is constant, but not happiness. And you can't go looking either! I adore what you have done with this picture, the effects are way beyond me, but it is really beautiful!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Cute picture.

Dawning Inspiration said...

Love this Susan!!! Sweet little birdies...

Joan Elizabeth said...

Easter in your soul. What an interesting way to describe happiness.

Louise Gallagher said...

Your photos and words always fill my heart with unexpected happiness.

Relyn Lawson said...

What a marvelous quote. What piece is that from?

Debby Ray said...

I love this post...and I love those times of unexpected happiness most of all! I hope your week is a happy one...expected or not!

Lisa Gordon said...

This is wonderful, Susan.
I hope you've had a great weekend.

Breathtaking said...

Hope you have a happy day Susan!:) Loved the quote!

S. Etole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
S. Etole said...

Relyn, it comes from "The White Witch."

Linda P said...

Thank you Susan. God bless you also,
It's nice to know that the little birds stayed under your roof for a while before fledging.

caryjo said...

Another attention grabber. Never would have seen anything like that there. But love to see birds anytime, any place. And ya dun good, as usual.