Monday, September 9, 2013

Sculpture Walk ~

My son and I
had a little extra time
after an appointment in Bemidji
 so he drove around
the downtown area so I
 could see some
of the sculptures along
 unfortunately
 I didn't get the names
of the artists or their sculptures
this is a sampling of some
of the work displayed
*  *  *
the mural behind the deer sculpture
 is painted on the wall of the
which is a Bemidji landmark
as is the classic
Paul Bunyan and Babe
 the blue ox
(clicking on the photos will give a better view)


20 comments:

SimplyDarlene said...

Ah, the 3rd one down is something! I didn't expect rocks. Neato.

Thanks for not only seeing beauty wherever you are, but for sharing it with us.

Love you.

Blessings.

HisFireFly said...

we have been to Bemidji twice and enjoyed strolling about both trips -- thanks for the pictures and the memories :-)

Valerie Kamikubo said...

What fun! I'm glad that you got to take it in.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Love the one with the straps wrapped around his legs, and the wonderful and delicate bird features. That IS a bird? Now, don't tell me these awesome leaves are really a sculpture...

Nancy said...

It's always nice to find neat things to photograph when you're out on other business....The sculptures are amazing. I am always in awe by people's talents....

Anonymous said...

So glad you had the opportunity to see these sculptures and murals. Thank you for sharing them with us. Incredible talent.

Anonymous said...

that's a nice looking wool shirt old mr. bunyan has on.

The Furry Gnome said...

Love Paul Bunyan and Blue!

Brandee Shafer said...

Paul Bunyan and Blue ring my bell. Fiberglass?

Dea Moore said...

I discovered a love and appreciation for sculpture a few years ago. I think it takes a special creative mind to create such beauty. Thanks for sharing.

ju-north said...

That looks so interesting! I bet there's a story behind each one!

Breathtaking said...

A very creative selection of sculpture. I collect cow creamers and have one just like the blue cow. Love it!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i like the first one best and the one made with rocks inside is a tad freaky but a true talent to create it.. i would love to see these in person.

Muffy's Marks said...

I was in Bemidji this summer, at the fair. My granddaughter was showing her horse. But I didn't get downtown. After seeing your photos, I'm sorry I didn't take the time to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Those are some wonderful works of art!! Glad you got to enjoy them with your son!
xo Catherine

Leslie said...

My favorite is the deer, but I also really like the bird being released and the human figure made from rocks and wire (that was a really creative idea!)

Linda P said...

All very creative sculptures. I like the moose in front of the mural and the blue cow. They do make a striking statement about the history of the place. Did you buy anything in the Woolen Mill?

S. Etole said...

Linda, the photos were taken from the car. I hope to be able to go in the Woolen Mill sometime. Haven't shopped there for many years.

caryjo said...

I haven't been in and around Bemidji often enough for several years. Took Jill there, and the guys, but it's been a while. TOO LONG. Next time I'm up there, I'll definitely be around and about. Usually just stay in the west side where I do some shopping, or heading North. YOU grabbed my heart for this again. I've seen of them a number of times, but a couple of them are newer. AND with Jay's sculpturing and artistry, his needs to be there, too.

Loved this, BTW.

Jeanne said...

I really enjoyed this post and your shots of Bemiji! When I was getting my masters degree, I spent a part of a summer in that area on the reservation working. It is such a beautiful area. Also when I was growing up, my family had a cabin not too far from there and we spent alot of summer time every year there. !!