Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Day ~




they all gather
by the bird feeders
the one with the tail not
seeming to realize
he's a bird of "different feather"
*  *  *
"The birds around me hopp'd and play'd
Their thoughts I cannot measure,
But the least motion which they made
It seem'd a thrill of pleasure."
William Wordsworth
Written in Early Spring
 


31 comments:

Lisa Gordon said...

Looks like you have lots of wonderful feathered friends, Susan.
Happy May Day to you!

Muffy's Marks said...

We have those non-flying furry birds too. Our birds willingly share their seeds!!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Squirrels are cute, but they sure are a nuisance sometimes!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the surprise of the squirrel at the end, and the way he is holding his tail. I think he is NOT playing possum, he is playing bird.

Unknown said...

I just love these photos. They have me smiling..

Hugs~

Linda said...

I have a hard time convincing my husband that squirrels are cute, but obviously they are! The birds are quite adorable too.

Anonymous said...

Such sweet birds and such a tiny squirrel.

Susan said...

What a wonderful poem! And awesome photos as usual!

Gayle said...

Your bird photos are always so beautiful! May Day is such a happy day!

ju-north said...

What a wonderful time you have watching the birds and other visitors!

Anonymous said...

So sweet all the birds and dear little squirrel. Cute!
xo Catherine

Patricia said...

Happy May Day! I hope you have lots of sun!!

rjerdee said...

Haha, a squirrel of a different feather :) Such a refreshing post, Susan!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

love the colors on that first little bird, so beautiful and the bird with the tail over his head is so sweet. beautiful photos of even more beautiful subjects.happy spring

Breathtaking said...

You have a nice selection of birds at your feeder:) I like the quote, it made me smile, and the poem was a good choice to accompany your photos. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

So happy that your feathered friends are assuming that we are done with snow! You capture them perfectly by sight and verse - and Susan, the periwinkle of 'waiting on the Lord' was breath-taking -

Ruth Hiebert said...

Looks like some of the same birds and critters that visit my feeder also visit yours.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Oh and the baby squirrel is the CUTEST!

Reena said...

And those ones with the fluffy tail can sometimes fly from branches to the feeders!

SimplyDarlene said...

that 2nd feller is ca-ute.

happy may
day
a day
late.

blessings.

Nancy said...

He is a cutie but a sweet little bird he is not....Oh my, my aggravation for his species is showing.....

Valerie Kamikubo said...

I feel like I'm almost sitting on your porch :-)

Tracy said...

LOVELY to see the house finch... and is that a junco? Such a happy gathering. :o) ((HUGS))

Kerri Farley said...

Lovely!

Anna said...

Hi Susan ~ lots of charming characters at your feeder! I love the little squirrel....even though most bird watchers dislike them stealing seed :) Our Robins are having a tough time with the heavy snowfall that hit here..looking everywhere for some open ground/grass.
Thanks for stopping at Mortal Muses to read my post. I do appreciate that!
Happy weekend to you.

Steve Gravano said...

Beautiful visitors! I've added a Nyjer Seed feeder to attract other, more colorful birds. It's been up a week, and so far no takers.

Leslie said...

they are cheeky fellows, aren't they?

caryjo said...

It was nice to see all your "friends" again. I sure miss them! Won't be long before they are stuck with me. YIPPEE!!

Joan Elizabeth said...

What a sweet little tail. I can sense the excitement of spring building up.

Carol Garvin said...

A delightful collection of visitors. Our squirrels interact amicably with the birds most of the time... until they both want into the birdfeeder at the same time. Then the squirrel almost always wins.

Lisa said...

Brillant little bird and they are such blessings.