Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Gift of His Presence ~

Lo, I am with you
 always
Matthew 28:20
*  *  *
a promise kept
in the darkest of times
always
*  *  *
Immanuel
"God with us"
Isaiah 7:14
*  *  *
Somewhere we know that
 without silence
 words lose their meaning,
 that
 without listening
 speaking no longer heals,
 that
 without distance
closeness cannot cure.
Henri Nouwen 

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, Beautiful, comforting verses.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Beautiful.

Maureen said...

How remarkably apt Nouwen's words are.

caryjo said...

In our darkened times, He is all we can count on. And I sure better remain intimately connected to Him and His world more than mine. [Obviously filled with too many sighs from much of what we are hearing and seeing in our present days/times.]

Thank you...

Carol Garvin said...

Comforting thoughts in these troubled days. Thank you, Susan.

Joan Elizabeth said...

It is a tradition for us to spend the week before Christmas at the beach, to escape the whirlwind of life for a period of rest, silence and contemplation. Thank you for reminding me of what a gift this is.

Anonymous said...

cool quote by henri.

Patricia said...

Oh how very comforting. And, thank you for stopping by with your kind words the other day... it's nice to be thought of. = )

Patricia said...

Oh how very comforting. And, thank you for stopping by with your kind words the other day... it's nice to be thought of. = )

rjerdee said...

Amen.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

so true. the kitty header is awesome and that bow is just beautiful and so festive

Jennifer Richardson said...

what a simple potent brilliance.
thank you,
Jennifer

Kerri Farley said...

I used a quote from Henri yesterday ..... what a wise man he was!
Beautiful post!

helen tilston said...

Hello Susan, thank you for reminding us of these beautiful messages. We need them
Helen xx

Lisa Gordon said...

Beautiful, and very timely quotes, Susan.
xo.

Louise Gallagher said...

Nouwen's words are made more powerful by your capacity to frame them in beauty.

Nava said...

A good reminder about silence--and listening--thanks for sharing. Think I will go back and read that again. Love that kitty cat!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
xo Catherine

Marilyn Miller said...

The thought of words losing their meaning with silence. So true! May we listen to the silence.

Mari said...

A wonderful promise to share!

Dagmar said...

Lovely Susan. Yet in silence I listen to Him these days. Wondering if still he is at my side....longing for that present and prayers go straight Up.

Thank you so very much for your kind words. Knowing you have to deal with so much more in life than I have to....I'm ashamed of feeling down while things could have been way worse.
Wanted to let you know. Sending out warm thoughts back to you my friend.
Amen. Hugs Dagmar

Connie Smiley said...

What comfort in these words. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Susan - your blog is a lavish gift - I treasure it - and Nouwen's words here so simple and powerful - Thank you. And did I say that I cannot get over the Pine Grosbeak?? I am using him tomorrow!! Thank you -

cristie said...

such wise words...the bow is amazing. xox