Tuesday, December 7, 2010

On the Eve of A Morn ~


Shuffled footsteps echoed in near empty hallways
as a nurse delivered meds
to
the four patients who remained
and a doctor stood
perusing orders.
All others had been discharged
in anticipation of
the
Christmas holiday.

It was rumored that at this particular hospital
a miracle occurred each Christmas Eve.
Speculation ran high among the staff
and
the four patients lay hoping.
Of the four
two were middle-aged loggers with large families.
They had become the victims of felled trees
that had missed their mark.
One was a young woman
recently paralyzed
expectant with
both hope and child
her first.
The fourth
was a teenager
with a head injury
who had words left unspoken for months.

So on this night
when a star speaks direction
and angels sing good news and peace reigns
there was great hope
hope that was no stranger to great despair.
As the evening
slowly slipped away,
anticipation hung heavily in the air.
Would there be
and
who would it be?

Quietly the word began to spread.
two words
Christmas words
first words
since his young finger
had
squeezed the trigger
that
he had hoped
would end his life
of
desperation.

despair … anticipation … hope … miracle

All on the eve
of
a Christmas morn.





44 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

Oh, that was so good it gave me goose bumps!

Maureen said...

Wow, Susan!

Jennifer Richardson said...

Deeply, deeply beautiful.
Thank you, Susan.
-Jennifer

caryjo said...

My heavens! To see you opening your heart like this to others when it has been so difficult for you to do that, it not only amazes me, but blesses me SIGNIFICANTLY to know how it will reach and touch the hearts of so many.

Anonymous said...

Oh how beautiful....Christmas hope, Christmas promise, Christmas miracles.
Andie

cristie said...

thank you for this Christmas blessing. xox

Ginny Hartzler said...

No ending!! You've not given an ending!! What about the loggers, the paralyzed woman, the teenager...will you be finishing it in another installment? Is this something that has really happened in your life or someone else's?

Patrinas Pencil said...

I loved how you wove this into prose. Beautiful. Did I read it right? It was the young teenager that finally spoke? He spoke Christmas words? I'm curious - what words were they?

Was this a true story? It is filled with hope and blessings for this Christmas season. thank you for sharing this message of Hope.

Merry Christmas, dear one

Patrina <")>><

S. Etole said...

Ginny and Patrina ... yes, the story is real. It was the teenager that spoke the words to his neurologist that night ... "Merry Christmas" was what he said ... the first words he had spoken in several months.

The loggers were eventually discharged and went home to their families and the young woman was me. My son was born six months after I was paralyzed and he and his family are the joy of my life. This was in 1967.

What Karen Sees said...

A lovely Christmas story and beautiful image. Life is a never ending cycle of happiness, tragedy, despair, hope!

Patrinas Pencil said...

WOW! Thank you for that update. It made me re-read the story again - and I see you this time - right there - how could I have missed you :)

The thot crossed my mind was that this miracle didn't stop on that Christmas eve. It most definitely carried over into your life - some months later - with the birth of your son. Yeah! God touched you too with His miraculous power and here you are today - this Christmas season - to share it with the world! WOW!

God is so faithful - His wonders to perform.

Praising God for His miracle in YOU! and your son!

Patrina <")>><

dude said...

You gave this artist a wet eye moment...so wonderful...thank you Susan!

JofIndia said...

Thank you for sharing such painful and personal memories, Susan. It shows your immense courage and generosity.
"..and a sword will pierce even your own soul—to the end that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed."

Jeff Jordan said...

I'm with Maureen. Wow!

suzanna said...

So beautifully written! You are a gem.

Rick said...

Thank you Susan for sharing a big piece of your heart, and your courage, hope, and faith. You inspire ! God bless you !

Steve Gravano said...

Beautiful. Your opening lines made me think about a nursing home our County Executive wants to sell or shut down. There has been a tug-of-war between the legislature and the CE on the issue, the legislators, for the most part want to keep it. County run nursing homes are for the poor, they don't make money.
Then, the line about a young woman, recently paralyzed, and I wondered, " is that Susan?" I didn't know it was Christmas Eve. Thanks for sharing your story, it brought tears to my eyes.
A Christmas miracle would be nice for the residents and employees of the John J. Foley Nursing Home.

S. Etole said...

Steve, the 2 loggers and I had been there about 4 months by Christmas Eve.

rjerdee said...

Oh, a true autobiographical story! How lovely it is!!!! You made me heart leap.

Duane Scott said...

Great story. Great poem. Loved it!

Unknown said...

you never cease to amaze me Susan.

and my heart goes out to the young man , wherever he is now.

Nancy said...

I read the story with anticipation of each word and it was very moving and then I read where the girl expecting was you and I cried.....You are a very brave and courageous woman willing to share her own story to bless others.....I pray you will be blessed beyond measure today....

Big hugs

Anonymous said...

So very powerful Susan, my heart is heavy remembering my own tragedy in my life but thankful for God's continued healing...

Vicky said...

Susan, I delight in your photos and words, and now I hope you will share more of your writing with us as well! Profoundly moving... I happen to know, 1967 was a very good year :)

Kass said...

This is startling and moving.

(you were right about never regretting my decision to care for my mother her last six months. It was a decision I will never regret. Thanks for your encouragement)

MadSnapper n Beau said...

hope and despair linked for ever until we all go home where despair will disappear for ever/ beautiful photo

Leslie said...

"there was great hope
hope that was no stranger to great despair."

Perhaps that is the only way to know great hope...

Thank you for sharing this bit of your life with us. You crafted it artfully. A lovely and welcome Christmas story.

Louise Gallagher said...

This is indescribaly beautiful.

wow!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful story! And your photo ~ the colors simply pop out ~ fantastic!

Glenda said...

The word "hope" has been finding it's way into my mind and heart so much this Christmas season. And then I read your amazing story, and I'm reminded again that the message of Christmas can really be summed up in that little word. I'm so thankful that Hope is alive in my heart!

Sandra Heska King said...

Chill. Bumps.

Michelle DeRusha said...

Susan, you are incredible. God is incredible. Thank you for sharing your story here. Miracles indeed. I sometimes wonder if they exist at all -- you your story, that teenager, ensure they do. Thank you for blessing me this morning.

Gayle said...

There were many miracles in that room. One continued on and became that beautiful little grand-daugher you just had! Hope is a favorite word of mine ever since the spirit began to whisper it 25 years ago when I was going through a very bad season. Loved it Susan!

Leslie said...

So beautifully told and hope-filled. Thank you so much for sharing it. ❤

Patricia said...

So glad you posted this again. Hope... never ending and always needed. Such a blessing... over and over again. Merry Christmas to you and your precious family. <3

SimplyDarlene said...

not only are your images wonderful, but your words, miss Susie are some kinda God-grande syrup.

thank you for sharing this.

and know that the woman swollen with child has been a blessed gift to me!

Doug Spurling said...

two words. Merry Christmas. And one more. Lovely.

Janis Van Keuren said...

Dear Susan, you have touched my heart in ways more incredible than your always tender words and exquisite photos. You have given reality to the word Hope and Miracle. From the depths of despair comes home.
I am so moved by your true life story and God's miracle for each of you in the hospital that night. This has brought new meaning to the words Christmas Miracle and a deeper sense of appreciation for your photos and words.
So blessed to have had our lives touch many years ago through High Callings.

S. Etole said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment, Janis. I miss THC, but am thankful for the connections made there.

Sue Awes said...


Merry Christmas, friends of my heart - you shine with a gentle beauty and a generosity of spirit, giving gifts of pictures and words that bless us all. I know you now - and would so love to meet. Thank you for this - and for all your gifts.

S. Etole said...

Thank you for your kind comment, Sue. I've long admired and appreciated the posts you share.

Doug Spurling said...

Swallow hard...can't breath. Hope. Pray, your Christmas day, is filled with all the joy and love meant for all that first CHRISTmas morn

God's best to you,

thank you

S. Etole said...

Thank you for dropping by and commenting, Doug. The best of Christmas to you.

Louise Gallagher said...

So deeply touching and beautiful Susan. Thank you for your gentle words that remind us all that we are each a miracle of life.