Monday, December 6, 2010

John Greenleaf Whittier ~


"Snow-Bound"


The sun that brief December day
Rose cheerless over hills of gray,
And, darkly circled, gave at noon
A sadder light than waning moon.
Slow tracing down the thickening sky
Its mute and ominous prophecy,
A portent seeming less than threat,
It sank from sight before it set.
Of homespun stuff could quite shut out,
A hard, dull bitterness of cold,
That checked, mid-vein, the circling race
Of life-blood in the sharpened face,
The coming of the snow-storm told.
~ ~ ~
to view this poem
[written
by
John Greenleaf Whittier]
in 
its entirety
please visit
~ ~ ~
this
is not
a black and white
photo
it is the color
of
the day




29 comments:

Glynn said...

The photo is striking in its almost monotoned simplicity. And then coupled with the poem -- tigether, a work of art.

Maureen said...

Wondeful photograph. That blue-grey cast to the sky and the way the sun looks: stunning.

rjerdee said...

Yes, that's exactly how winter looks in Minnesota--black and white!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture. God's beauty - our gift.
Andie

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i can feel the cold coming from your photo, it is stark and chilly looking, cold beauty. poem is very good. I love all things sunshine and days that look like this one are not my thing. i can take cold as long as the sun is shining. i guess that makes it a good thing i am in florida.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That's very beautiful!

Jennifer Richardson said...

brrrrr......
days like this
make me hungry for light
and red
and warm drinks
and sleep.
-Jennifer

Leslie said...

The color of the day? Wow.

Glenda said...

Simplicity and starkness are indeed beautiful! And the photo and poem are meant for each other!

Jeff Jordan said...

Great picture, but I sure like those trees better with some leaves on them:) I'm just counting the days now until spring.

Anonymous said...

Grey days are always good days to curl up on the couch and have a snooze ~ except we have had a lot of grey days lately so if I always did that, I would never get anything done! :)

xo Catherine

Linda said...

I remember those "snow skies" from when we lived up north - that feeling of snow in the air. It is a crisp, sunny day here today, but my soul feels a bit like that sky.

Janis Van Keuren said...

Oh, this is the first time my comment did not appear. I came back to check and it was not here~

Anyway, beautiful photo of an incredible gray day. Went hand in hand nicely with the poem. Painted quite a picture.

I guess I'll see at least one of those when we go to Minnesota for a family funeral. I'll be trying to capture some beautiful photos, but I know none will compare with yours.

Blessings,
Janis

Mari said...

It was a dark day - it really looks like the moon. Very neat shot!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Goodness, that is s daytime photo, I would not have guessed. And what a foreboding poem you have chosen to go with it, a good pair! And a good picture, if a bit chilling!

Steve Gravano said...

Beautiful combination of poem and photo. We had the same gray sky here on Long Island with our first sighting of snow flakes.

caryjo said...

Love the picture. Looks cold, though... colder than what we're experiencing at the moment [for which I am very grateful!].

Beth said...

This poem is in my next American Lit lesson plan. Since we were 'snowed in' today and are on 2
hr. delay for tomorrow, I think it's good timing!
Beautiful in its starkness. I agree with Caryjo: it looks really cold.

joyce said...

A great winter photo.....I wouldn't have guessed that it was natural colour. I like the poem too....I used to read a lot of poetry and even write some, finding I haven't the time that I did in my 20's!

Nancy said...

Makes you want to curl up in front of a fire with a good book and have tea......Stay warm....

Dawning Inspiration said...

Glorious!

Joan Elizabeth said...

It is a grey day. Our sky here is grey but the world around green. Lovely poetry selection.

Tracy said...

Hi, Susan! The color of your day is the same as here...slate gray all over! We're back from our Thanksgiving/USA trip--had wonderful time! I'm slowing getting to visiting and such though, as I've not been feeling too well in recent days--but getting there. Great to be catching up with you and back in blogland. :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

Louise Gallagher said...

You capture so much with your photos and then... you add words that speak so eloquently.

wow!

JofIndia said...

What a cheerless, watery sun...
Perfectly captured by your photo and the poetry.

SimplyDarlene said...

We've had a lot of those days here as of late. At least your God-filled heart adds needed color and beauty miss Susan!

Blessings.

Vicky said...

Ahhh yes, I know this color well :) Thank you for sharing the poem, I will go see the rest of it now.

ELK said...

looks peaceful as well..and cold !!
I love your references to poetry here susan!

Sandra Heska King said...

I love photos like this.