Saturday, June 7, 2014

In The Woods ~




the leaf of the
Jack-In-The-Pulpit
*  *  *
Come with me into the woods
 where spring is
advancing, as it does,
 no matter what,
not being singular or particular,
 but one of the forever gifts,
 and certainly visible.” 
Mary Oliver
*  *  *
they are normally found
growing in the woods
in the spring
I am fortunate to have a 
couple of plants in the flower bed
 where I can watch their odd growth

20 comments:

Glynn said...

I wonder what sermon Jack would preach.

Beautiful.

caryjo said...

I'm glad it showed up since the weather and the yard stuff and the other issues, such as bears around and about. And very happy you could take pictures and share. Thanks much, as usual. And you named it after Jack being there for those days with me. How cool is that? Must have entered your mind significantly, doncha think?

S. Etole said...

Joanne, that's a happy thought but Jack-in-the-Pulpit is its actual name. It is also known as the Brown Dragon and Indian Turnip.

Joan Elizabeth said...

A walking the woods seems nice. We have a long weekend and I have a volume of Mary Oliver in my selection of reads for the weekend.

helen tilston said...

Mary Oliver's words are just magical,
How fortunate that you have the Indian Turnip growing in your garden.
Wishing you the blessings of Sunday
Helen xx

MadSnapper n Beau said...

it has been more than 50 years since I last saw Jack in the pulpits, these are wonderful. they grew wild in KY and we left there in 59...love that leaf to

Barbara said...

Such beautiful light and how lucky you are to have these in your yard, I remember going in the wood with my Mom and seeing these.

The Furry Gnome said...

Very nice quote!

Anita Johnson said...

I love these flowers too. My kids bought a house on 3 wooded acres, we found quite a few of them as we wondered their property. Love the rain on the leaves.

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful.
Wishing you and Callie a nice day.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, you have the Jack-In-The- Pulpit? Totally cool! Last year I went to see a man who had one, it was in the local paper (you can tell how small our city is when this is a big topic!) Anyway, when we got there, the very old gentleman walked us to the back yard and showed us. Woe was me, it was too late!! I took pictures anyway, but just recently deleted them. So now I can see one when it is in top form!!

Lisa Gordon said...

I just love these plants, Susan, and you have photographed it beautifully!

Linda P said...

Glad you have this plant near where you can see it and photograph it, Susan.
There are so many intriguing names for
it. I call it 'cuckoopint' or 'lords and ladies'and remember being interested in seeing it hidden away
in woodland places when out and about as a child. 'Jack-in-the-pulpit'- is a good name too!

Anonymous said...

Very cool - I've never seen one in real life!
xo Catherine

Beth said...

Lovely and unusual.

Sandy K. said...

Thank you for stopping my the other day and leaving a message. It's been a while!

I haven't see Jack in the Pulpit in our woods for years, and I miss them. Beautiful signs of spring. As much as I love summer, I do enjoy the freshness of spring.

Deanna said...

What wonderful captures of a most interesting spring-time plant. Thanks for sharing!!

Jennifer Richardson said...

I love your ears to listen:)
-Jennifer

Kamana said...

very cool!

Anonymous said...

SO gorgeous! I've never seen these! Thanks for stopping by and wishing me well!