Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What's In A Name ~

Jack-in-the-Pulpit
aka
Brown Dragon 


a woodland plant
curious in its appearance
with an even curiouser name
*  *  *
you can read more
about this plant
*  *  * 

 

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this bloom in person. I enjoyed the link info and the photos are great.

Patricia said...

What fun! Every time I see your photos I'm in awe of how you are able to do that, Susan. So grateful. So very grateful.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I'm sure I've not seen this one before- thanks for the link for more info.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

if they were naming this now, it might be Jill in the pulpit. Jack is very handsome indeed..

Beth said...

I've never seen one, but have heard of it. Quite different.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Now that's just cool. I've seen and heard of them, but not in a very long time. Curious.

Lisa Gordon said...

These are wonderful, Susan.
We have just one that comes into bloom faithfully each year, and has for many years.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Is this yours? Very curious, I have never heard the alternate name...

Linda P said...

I haven't thought about this plant for years so it was good to see one. It's very similar to the European cuckoo-pint that grows in wet, shady woodland areas
here.

SimplyDarlene said...

so, the bloom
looks like
it's leaf

isn't that
what God
expects
of
us?

as always, thank you BIG time for sharing His beauty thru your lens. and heart.

blessings.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Definitely a unique plant.

Linda said...

Such different names. I wonder if it depends on the sermon topic :)

Great pictures Susie!

Unknown said...

I have never heard of these. But I do love the name.. Loving the photos of them...

Hugs~

Susan said...

I have never seen one of those. Very interesting!

Dea Moore said...

Bet he preaches fiery sermons being a dragon and a preacher :)

Tracy said...

I've only ever seen these in photo before too, never in nature... strange, wonderful plants! Your new banner is lovely, Susan!:o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

Louise Gallagher said...

We don't have these here - our climate won't support them -- so glad you shared waht your eyes see.

rjerdee said...

I read your link but couldn't see anything that refers to "Jack" and why it got that name...Nice shots, Susan!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen one before ~ pretty!
xo Catherine

Vicky said...

You teach me something new every time I visit I think! I don't know that I've truly seen these before? I will keep a closer look-out for them- so beautifully captured!

Anonymous said...

eat as a root vegetable...i don't think so

Jennifer Richardson said...

i love it when things
become curious-er:)
your little gentleman preacher
is charming...thanks for sharing,
Jennifer

Debbie said...

Very unique!! But in the second image, it looks a little like a calli lily!!

Very pretty images!!