Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Cooks of 1911 ~

The post card
was old
the picture faded
but the message
from one young man to another
made me smile
Hello Carl --
This is a little remembrance
of the cooks in 1911
that could burn water.
The U.S.A. is fine and
 how is Canada.
We have lovely weather.
Your friend
*  *  *
[texture by Kim Klassen]


26 comments:

SimplyDarlene said...

you know how i feel about this sorta thing...

iLike very much.

blessings.

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Oh these are just lovely--really liking the texture you chose for them--

Makes me miss those postcards we used to get but I guess texts, emails and comments are better, huh? There are so many more and they come from all over the world!

Maureen said...

Wonderful!

Nancy said...

A cherished post card....don't see so many of them anymore......perhaps a lost form of communication.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this.

Debbie said...

a handwritten note in script, a lost art for sure.

it's beautiful!!

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gayle said...

It is like opening up a window in time and stepping back for a moment.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I have old post cards dating back to the late 1800's from my great-aunt. Very fun to look at.
xo Catherine

elizabeth said...

What a treasure, and the photo and edit is perfect!

ju-north said...

A little slice of history! Beautiful!

Joan Elizabeth said...

People knew how to communicate small details in few words in those days. I guess text messages and tweets are a bit like that.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

really neat to look back in time...my sister in law has been called the cook who could burn water since she married my brother 40 years ago, she can cook now but she could not even boil and egg when they got married.

Susan said...

I miss postcards. These are beautiful!

Linda P said...

It's this sort of intriguing post that captures my imagination and makes me want to know more about the writer of the postcard.

Anita Johnson said...

I was going to write exactly what Dianne did...but there is something lasting about "snail mail", isn't there.

Unknown said...

Don't you just love old postcards. I love the way you photographed these.

Wishing you a happy day..

Hugs~

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I love old written words like that...so neat to read it

Valerie Kamikubo said...

I imagine that one must feel a bit like a caretaker to have such lovely things in their hands for a time.

Breathtaking said...

Certainly a piece of history, it made me smile too:)

I still write in long hand to some friends who are not computer savi and love receiving hand written letters.

Jennifer Richardson said...

just wonderful.
cooks could burn water....so clever:)
-Jennifer

Jennifer Richardson said...

just wonderful.
cooks could burn water....so clever:)
-Jennifer

Anonymous said...

the photos remind me of that song...home, home on the range...

Ms. Becky said...

postcards are so much more romantic than text messages. that's a curious message and I love the card. happy weekend to you Susan.

Anonymous said...

The sentiments of past days...beautiful!
Andie

caryjo said...

Oh, yes. Life has changed. So many Uganda cooking/water stories are similar to what our time had 100 years ago. Amazing how life changes. Neat to see such a friendly postcard when it wasn't easy or cheap [compared to income] in those days. Love it.