Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Beginning ~


Lent is the time for trimming the soul
 and scrapping the sludge off a life turned slipshod.
 Lent is about taking stock of time, even religious time.
 Lent is about exercising the control that
 enables us to say no to ourselves 
so that when life turns hard of its own accord
 we have the stamina to yes
 to its twists and turns with faith and hope
Lent is the time to make new efforts
 to be what we say
 we want to be.”
The Rule of Benedict: Insight for the Ages
Sister Joan Chittister
*  *  *
Ash Wednesday
the beginning of the journey
 
 

18 comments:

Gayle said...

My heart is turning towards Lent as well.

Terra said...

To make the effort to be who we say we want to be, I like that. Lent is that time.

Beth said...

"...to say no to ourselves . . ." and the line that follows it. This underscores what I've been listening to in my car--a Joyce Meyer's tape.
That part about being able to have the stamina to say yes to the twists and turns when life gets hard because we have faith and hope. She's been preaching on Joseph.
Wonderful set up photo for this.:>)

Valerie Kamikubo said...

I so love her definition of Lent. Blessing to you on your journey, Susan.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I had forgotten until yesterday! Our church does not celebrate it, but I do like to reference and remember it.

Anonymous said...

So often we read about our sacrifices. Your post reminds us that lent is really for our good. Love the pic you choose to go along with this post.
Andie

Joan Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the reminder, my church is beginning the build up the Easter but does not do lent.

Patricia said...

Lent is my favorite season in the church calendar. I grew up in a liturgical church and worshiped in one as a adult for years, but the past 10 years we've been in one that does not recognize Lent. While I miss participating in the special worship services at church, I've become more motivated to make Lent personal and even more meaningful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words, beautiful picture. You always find just the right combination! I have always thought carnations looked so innocent and sweet :-)

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i like the book and the carnation, perfect to go with your words

Nancy said...

The quote is definitely a challenge; one if taken leads to quality time the Lord which in turn makes big changes in our lives.....

Muffy's Marks said...

The key is self control. We all need to work on that!!

Patricia said...

I needed this today. Thank you.

Patricia said...

I needed this today. Thank you.

Megan Willome said...

That quote is fantastic. Especially the part about saying no so that we can have the stamina to say yes. I'm living that.

(Oh, and I just saw the link to my recent post on the side of your blog. Thank you so much!)

Marilyn Miller said...

I appreciate the words on Lent, as my church doesn't not talk alot about Lent. There are sermons, but not the Ash Wednesday and Shrove Tuesday sort of things.

Maureen said...

A "Yes!" is a wonderful response during the Lenten season, I think. That one word can change so much.
Thank you for the quote.

caryjo said...

I'm going to try to focus on the Lord during Lent this year... the whole time, if possible. He's all that counts, anyhow. Forever.

[You, Dave, and few others are at the top of my list, but HE'S first. DUH!! Good thing, huh?]