Monday, November 12, 2012

Letters Home IV ~

The next correspondence I find
 is written in
 December of 1938.

The writing is small and cramped
 as he crowds his thoughts onto a penny postcard.

“Dear Folks,

I received your letter this morning Mom
 and was very glad to get it.
 I know you have been expecting me home every day
 and I should have written to let you know how I was.
 It looks now as though I won’t be able
 to get home for Christmas.
 I still can’t keep any food or liquids down,
 so until I do they won’t let me out of here.

So I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas
 and please go ahead and have a very good time
 even though I don’t get home.
 I’ll be thinking about you.

If I should suddenly get better,
 Ilene said she’d be willing to wait
 and come home with me on the train
 on Sunday morning.
 Otherwise she’ll be home on the train
 on Saturday night.

It seems to me the doctors haven’t been doing
 very much to try to cure me.
 Their idea seems to be that my stomach
 ought to get better by itself.
 I’m tempted to come home and see 
what Dr. Olson can do about it,
 but probably that would be foolish.
 It would mean a lot of inconvenience
 when I did get home.

Well, I hope the old stomach
 straightens out pretty soon.
 And I hope to be able to see you soon."

Merry Christmas

Sincerely,
Gordon
*  *  *

His parents will travel to be with him
 for Christmas this year.
 Their youngest daughter will join them.
 His oldest sister and two brothers will remain on the farm.
*  *  *

Spring will come, then summer,
 and with summer will come Gordon’s passing.
 Cancer will have claimed his young life at the age of 22.
Sincerely, Gordon

34 comments:

Maureen said...

Such poignancy. . . and also sadness at the loss of a life so young.

Thank you, Susan, for sharing these letters. The excerpts you post leave me so moved.

Jennifer Richardson said...

oh how tragic
and beautiful
and I'm so SO glad mom and dad
took the train
to be with him!
how brave, this letter.
-Jennifer

Unknown said...

So very powerful. I loved these.
Heartbreaking and elegant. Thank you so much for sharing Susan.

Valerie Kamikubo said...

I love how you superimposed his words onto his photo. What a nice young man, and such a tragedy that his life ended so young.

Muffy's Marks said...

Such a sad story. Treasure those correspondences.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Oh heartbreaking... Very tender.

Rick said...

Thank you for sharing this, Susan. I started out with this post and worked my way backwards through the story. Extremely moving. A moment's silence.

cristie said...

powerful...and so sad. xox

Anita Johnson said...

Oh my goodness...I didn't expect that. Thank you letting us get to know this wonderful young man.

caryjo said...

I didn't comment on the ones leading to this; wanted to see the final. You just broke my heart again re: some of what your family [assume he was your Mom's brother] has gone through. Curious... where did you find the letters? Amazing how they are dropped into your life.

This was a sharing stretch on your post that must/will touch many hearts. Not just photos -- which are always glorious -- but "words" and stories that will overwhelm them.

Thank you.

Terra said...

This post just broke my heart. I wasn't expecting that tragic and sudden end for the young man, and what a beautiful soulful face he has.

JofIndia said...

What a moving story: a small glimpse of a young man's tragically short life; beautifully told with poignant restraint and profound empathy..

Carolyn said...

What a treasure to have the writings of this young man whose
life ended at such a young age.
Thanks for sharng this lovely tribute.

joyce said...

I waited until I had the proper time to sit and read these posts....at first I was thinking this young man, the same age as my boys, how I would hate to hear of them going hungry, then by this last post I am so moved by this, thank you so much for sharing. It would certainly be bookworthy if you had more of them. Was this fellow related to you?

joyce said...

scratch that last question, found the answer as I re-read them.

S. Etole said...

Joyce S. - I can no longer get back to your blog either by email or clicking on your name. It just takes me back to a google+ page. Can you give me a link?

ju-north said...

Time does not eradicate the pain and sorrow felt

Anonymous said...

I like your stamp photo. Such a sad ending.
xo Catherine

Louise Gallagher said...

This is so powerful and poignant and real and honest and tender.

Thank you Susan for sharing.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

a tragic ending to this story from the past. he was so handsome. thanks for sharing this withus

Amber K said...

I just recently stumbled upon your blog and am so intrigued by these letters. I love getting such a personal glimpse into the past like this. Such a tragic story, but so amazing that you have that piece of your family's history! Thank you for sharing!

Kerri Farley said...

These have captivated me ..... and I must admit to the tears flowing as I read of Gordon's passing. What a lovely young man who the world lost way too soon. He must have had something special to do up in Heaven.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

This is so nice but sad to realize that he wanted the same things we all want...like to be home for Christmas. So young to die at 22!
ps. I like reading their letters, it touches me from 1938

Leslie said...

Oh, Susan. Just finished reading this whole series. What a handsome young man. I'm so sorry he was taken from this earth and from his family, so young. His letters home touch my heart...

Dea Moore said...

Sincerely seems a proper salutation for Gordon's last post home. He was on the cusp on being one of those who made up the "greatest generation." I can't imagine the heartbreak of his family who obviously loved him so very much. My middle boy is 22...

Vicky said...

So young and such a travesty. This story has been very poignant. His story through his words and your gentle touch- exquisite. What an honor to share in Gordon's story with you- thank you!

Joan Elizabeth said...

While I was expecting his passing -- cancer was the last thing I would have guessed.

Isn't is great that his parents went to the trouble to go to him that Christmas. It's often not easy for farming families to get away.

Unknown said...

I have so enjoyed you sharing your letters with us. And I teared up a bit when I read this one. Such a sad ending..

Hugs~

Beth said...

How sad! But it's such a gift that the family had and still have these letters. I can't quite get that across to my teen students. How do you save Facebook entries for almost 100 years? I don't think you can and it wouldn't be the same.

Carol Garvin said...

A sad ending, but such precious communications from this young man. As Beth says, it would have been a tragedy not to have the consolation of such letters and yet there is no guaranteed permanence to the digital words that dominate today.

Thank you for sharing this story, and for the beauty of the words and photos you've used to do so.

Relyn Lawson said...

This makes me swallow hard over a lump in my throat. Nothing captures a person like the words from their own pen and heart. You know?

Lucille said...

Do you think the doctors knew more than they said? I hope he was spared fear. Thank you for sharing this story.

S. Etole said...

Lucille, it's hard to say. Patients weren't always given much information at that time.

Christine said...

You did such a beautiful job posting these memories. It reads like a novel only so much more personal and tragic. Thank you for the exquisite work you do on your blog. The grosbeak is so beautiful!

I hope you had a very happy Thanksgiving, Susan.