Friday, May 25, 2012

The Withering ~

her beauty spent
her gown
now soiled and worn
while once she stood in glory
strangers now became
 her support
: : :
Faded the flower and all its budded charms,
    Faded the sight of beauty from my eyes.
John Keats

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, Susan. I hope you have a pleasant weekend.

Linda said...

The picture is the perfect compliment to the words Susan. It isn't easy, this aging process.

Have a blessed holiday weekend!

Vicky said...

Striking contrast in this photo- and the poem- another one I have to read over and over and let the phrasing sink into my head. It resonates deeply :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

It may well be fading,but still has all that vibrant colour that I love.

Ginny Hartzler said...

A sad sight for me, because I look forward to the poppies probably more than any other plants in the spring. They don't last long, though.

Unknown said...

Such a pretty photo.. I do hope you enjoy your weekend..

Hugs~

Joan Elizabeth said...

There is nothing quite so sad as a red dress the morning after ... no other colour seems quite so spoiled and let down.

Valerie Kamikubo said...

I think that it still looks lovely!

Maureen said...

There is great beauty in all that ages.

Have a lovely holiday weekend, Susan.

Susan said...

Boy, do I know how that flower feels.

Connie Arnold said...

Lovely but sad post! I can certainly relate to what Keats says.

Anonymous said...

oh , beauty...you can not hide thy face from me.

Relyn Lawson said...

I'm grinning. I have a bouquet of dried roses still sitting out my hallway. They are just so lovely.

Dolly @Soulstops said...

still lovely in its fading...grateful for the unfading beauty of His life within...Blessings, this weekend to you, Susan :)

Tracy said...

what lovely words and the photo matches so wonderfully!

Claudia said...

still, beautiful in it's own way! Have a great weekend

Anonymous said...

I wish poppies lasted longer!
xo Catherine

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

There is beauty even in the withering...transformation...

Reena said...

Yep, beauty even as we age!

cristie said...

if only a poppy would linger longer. xox