Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Sheltered Heart ~

as she
cloaks herself
in mourning
 the colors
of her mourning cloak
 reduce
her vulnerability
disguising
the condition of
her heart
: : :
this butterfly
 is known
as
in 
North America
and
Camberwell Beauty
in
Britain


27 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

This is such a pretty butterfly,but the name seems sad.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

she does look like she has on a an old fashioned mourning cloak. my first ever to see. so beautiful. baby came through the surgery fine, we can pick her up after 3:30

Kerri Farley said...

A Beauty!

Ms. Becky said...

this is quiet beauty at its best, and a lift up today. I'm also loving your new header photo. happy day to you Susan. what a treat.

ju-north said...

I!m learning something new1

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never seen one of these, and I had to click on your link! I think I like the alternate name White Petticoat better, it is a bit more joyful. But Mourning Cloak has a somber, mysterious tone to it.

ELK said...

she is a beauty ....

Susan Cowger said...

Lovely name for a butterfly! Going to have to use that name in a poem. Lovely photos. They are like capturing a secret. Especially with the name...

Maureen said...

I'm always fascinated by how we name things.

Glenda said...

Love the photos - and your title!

Unknown said...

So beautiful.
I have never seen any thing like it.
I sure hope to plant some flowering plants this year. Maby I can attract some different varietys.

Linda said...

I am awed at the beauty and variety of His creation.

Vicky said...

I had no idea such a butterfly existed. It's rather stunning but in an understated way. I am always amazed at how you find the miniscule through your skillful lens....

Anonymous said...

she's a pretty one.

Mrs. E said...

Such a great series!

joyce said...

I can see where the name comes from...I don't believe we have them in our neck of the woods.

Bonnie said...

this is my first visit to your blog ... i love it ! i'm going to go look around a bit more. i've scrolled down and been amazed by housekeeping 101 already ... wow, love your imagery ... both in photograph and in word.

Anonymous said...

Hooray! It's butterfly season! :)
Beautiful!
xo Catherine

Steve Gravano said...

I have never seen such a beautiful butterfly. Thanks Susan.

Susan said...

Wow, beautiful photos and verse. Love this post!

Unknown said...

Such a pretty butterfly. Always love popping in to see what you have captured..

HUgs~

Dea Moore said...

Only seeing a few butterflies this morning from the back porch. This Mourning Beauty is new to me..
thank you for being my teacher..about butterflies and other things.. (yes... I know it supposed to be Cloak. I couldn't help it!)

cristie said...

i had no idea. again sue...a lovely pairing. xox

Louise Gallagher said...

you and your eyes and your heart are such a gift!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty.

Valerie Kamikubo said...

She is a beauty!

Christine said...

The grace and beauty of a butterfly! Always amazing, aren't they? Surely an exquisite gift from Him.