woodchucks
whistle
warnings
when
danger looms
: : :
at a fairly young age
I asked a neighbor if he would
teach me how to whistle
~ his response ~
"whistling girls and cackling hens
always come to no good end"
there are variations to this rhyme
none seem to favor
female whistling




26 comments:
I would have to ask if it matters what it is that the woman whistles.....
What a wonderful woodchuck!
Perhaps that's the key, Steve!
whistling has been handed down from my grandpa to my dad to me (a woman. My cousin says when she hears me whistle she sees our grandpa whistling with me.
Now, I don't want to suppose that any connection is being made between girls and hens but . . . .
There must indeed be a fascinating history behind the origin of the 1721 proverb. The girls should a-gathered all and whistled and whiled away the day.
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? (A woodchuck would chuck all the wood he could if a woodchuck could chuck wood.)
My grandad taught me to whistle and blow bubbles with bubblegum. I don't know how to whistle a loud (taxi-yielding) whistle, but I love being able to whistle a song in key.
He is so cute!
Cute little fellow! I have never heard that interesting proverb, but I do like to hear someone, male or female, whistle a happy tune!
I learned to whistle LOUD through my teeth when my boys were in high school wrestling. Apparently they didn't like their momma yelling from the stands (as if a mom who knew what move should be happening shouldn't give her son the whatsup from the stands hahaha). My patient middle son taught me the technique. Didn't know how much I would LOVE being able to pierce out a loud high-pitched whistle whenever necessary. :)
They definitely heard me in the matches. Much mor effective than middle aged mom yelling hahaha...
Bet you still whistle though!
Ah, such a cute little fellow.
Hope you have a Happy Easter.:)
I'd never heard that. Too funny!
I must say that my experiences with a "whistling girl" might prove the rhyme to be true. My mother whistled when she was mad and when she called us inside from playing outdoors...and both of them usually came to "no good end" for me. =)
Wow, good capture on the woodchuck. I've never seen one so close up...except in books, of course.
love the critter pics and I beg to differ on the song. i am a whistler so was my dad's sister and my dad and all his brothers. did you know if yu whistle in the bathroom at the YMCA it echos and is beautiful> also does in in the gymnasium. i know because i do it.
Great photos of the woodchuck! In a neighborhood I used to live there was an older lady who used to walk everyday past my house, whistling. You could hear her coming and going. It was so cute!
I don't like whistling from anyone ... isn't that weird? It so grates on me...
When I was young, I tried so hard to learn to whistle but have never been able to accomplish this feat....I guess this keeps me away from the comparison to a hen....I do love to hear my husband whistle though....
Anyway, great pictures and I do hope your Easter is full of blessings....
I've always wanted to see a woodchuck. It looks a bit like a beaver. I had no idea what to expect.
We've had way too many woodchuck encounters. I'd like to say they're cute, but they're so destructive. We've got woodchucks eating the sunflower seeds under the bird feeder right now, and they've dug under our porch. We've set a live trap, but so far we've only caught a possum. And he didn't whistle when we let him go. It was more of a hissy fit.
what a curious looking woodchuck.
I heard it as "Whistling women and barking dogs come to no good end."
I do love to whistle. lol
Awww...he's adorable!! That's a funny rhyme. Good thing I can't whistle very well. ;)
xo Catherine
what a beautiful little fellow!
thanks for the sweet share,
Jennifer
You nearly had a visitor. I've seen them in the background a couple times, but never on the doorstep... WOW! Certainly wasn't concerned about who might "get" him.
I couldn't whistle no matter what... have tried and tried and it's never worked. Good at some things; not that. Disappointing.
ha! never heard such a thing. my mother always asked me to stop whistling...which i would do when worried. xox
My grandmother used to say that!
Post a Comment