Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Dream Broken ~

We sat, parked, listening to the rush of the river in the black of the night. Not park-ing as some would suppose, just sitting, listening, wondering. Finally he spoke. His words were direct, focused. “I’ve been thinking. We could be married in another year ... I’ll only have two years left of school. You would have to work.” A little thrill rose from the tips of my toes spreading upward to the top of my head. We’d been dating for 3 years ... since I was 16 and he 17. A romantic he wasn’t, but honest and true.

Wedding vows were spoken in the autumn of the year with one gone by. The leaves were changing, our hopes and dreams were colorful and bright. We walked, hand in hand, through those last two years of college. There was little money for gas. Long hours were spent at the lab, him studying, me working, money so tight that we sold a used textbook to buy a loaf of bread only to realize it was just enough to cover the price of two tickets to the movie, so we fed our souls instead.

With college graduation came new dreams, new goals. The summer was spent apart from one another with him working one place, me another. And a new portion of the dream grew in my womb, tethered with love before his departure.

More vows spoken ... another leaving. He would serve Uncle Sam in the USAF for the next four years. These were the years of ‘Nam ... of loss of friends .... of uncertainty. As it turned out, I became the injured through the war on the highway. The war of youth wanting to rush through life and hurting others in the process. He was only 18, the young man that struck us almost head on. His life just beginning ... mine now changed forever. Ending in ways I didn’t realize.

A beautiful piece of the dream was birthed six months later. Birthed in the form of a healthy baby boy. A father beaming with pride, a mother filled with gratitude ... two hearts overflowing with love. And fear. Now 22, and 23. Old beyond our years in such a short time.

The dream took on the appearance of “normal,” whatever normal is. The daily walking out, only in circumstances far beyond our control. There was no accounting for the grace that covered those days. But the presence of the Lord grew. The hunger to know Him bringing us closer together ... to Him.

Days turned into years. The dream began a slow fade. Major chips began to take their toll. Too many losses. Too many griefs. We struggled ... hard.

One moment what was a dream morphs into a nightmare and catches you unaware. Leaves you broken, wondering, listening, the rush of the river carrying you where you didn’t want to go.

The rush of the river, the black stillness ... and you’re alone, sitting.

Broken.

~ ~ ~
He heals the broken in heart and binds up their wounds.
Psalm 147:3

photo by Joanne Norton
 This is a late link to the blog carnival on brokenness
hosted by
Bridget Chumbley




36 comments:

Linda said...

After these beautiful, heartbreaking words, I feel inadequate to write anything. I just must say how much my heart breaks over this Susan. We share many similar circumstances.

caryjo said...

It's always good to "hear" you write about the realities of your life and share the truths in such a way that it will impact other hearts. Always good reminders for me, also, since I was there in one fashion or another.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I too struggle for words.I am sorry.

Unknown said...

silenced.
by how you told your story with such elegance,
such soul gripping raw.

you continue to be an inspiration to me, Susan.

deb

Mari said...

You are as talented a writer as a photographer. What you have written is gripping and sad. It's life, but what a blessing to have the Lord there through all those times.

Leslie said...

My heart breaks for your breaking. So much pain, related with the grace only He can supply. Thank you so much for trusting us enough to share your journey with us. May grace overflow to you as you continue to walk with the only One who knows the way.

Brian's Home Blog said...

I don't know what to say either, so I'll just send you a great big hug.

Cynthia L. H. said...

Thank you for baring your soul and sharing.

Patrinas Pencil said...

S. Etole
honored to hear your heart. It's sharing like this that makes us more than the sum of our blogs. We become 'community'. A door is opened and we just walk through it. Thanks for opening the door today - it was almost as if I'd sat down and shared a cup of coffee with a friend.

God bless you
Patrina <")>><

Kathleen Overby said...

How do we hold up each other with words? Nurture each other with ink. Comfort each other in a comment box? Lament with digital kleenex? I don't know. But I do know you are still The Bride. Chosen. Beloved. Wanted. The apple of his eye.

He found her
in a desert land,
and in the howling waste
of the wilderness;
he encircled her,
he cared for her,
he kept her as
the apple of his eye."

gretchen g. said...

Thank you for sharing this deeply personal experience that is not easily expressed.

Maureen said...

Your story is deeply moving, Susan. You tell it beautifully, adorn it with honesty, offer it with a still-felt tenderness. May peace be with you always.

Stephani Cochran said...

Your broken heart is spilling everything out in this post. Beautiful writing, but heart wrenching.

Glenda said...

Thank you for sharing your deep, deep hurts with us. To know this story and then to have read your words of faith and hope and wisdom are indeed a blessing . . . a testimony of triumph over tragedy. Your story reminds me of the Scripture ". . . cast down but not destroyed." You are an inspiration!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your writing draws me in, like a good novel, only it isn't a novel, it's your life. I'm so sorry for this sorrow in your life.

cristie said...

dear Susan...
knowing this significant part of your life only makes me love you more.
i don't see broken...i see guilded with gold.
the rare beauty of your life well lived.
compassion ... unmistakable empathy. your suffering and loss has made you well acquainted with the gentle healer.
thank you susan for sharing. xox

Lisa said...

Susan, you are full of grace.
I am honored.
Much love sweet lady.
xoxo

Janet Oberholtzer said...

Alone and broken ... not totally sure what that means, but I'm so sorry. Those two words generally equal pain and I'm so sorry for the pain you are feeling because of them.

Dagmar said...

Oh my Susan, I struggle for words...your story went to the core of my being and tears fill my eyes.
Thank you for sharing your pains, your grief, your loss of so so many things.
I'm here with you just as God is.
Look beside your tracks and you'll find the bare footprints of our great Leader.
Prayers for you today my friend.
Warmest hugs ever Dagmar.

Dawning Inspiration said...

Such heart in these words....
I wish I knew more of what to say.
Hugs to you.

Steve Gravano said...

Susan, I too am at a loss for what to write. Your words are exceptional. My prayers are with you.

S. Etole said...

I want to thank you for your kind words and prayers ... this happened several years ago and the Lord has been faithful to bring healing to my heart. His promises are sure.

Lucille said...

I missed this piece. How brave you have had to be. And how outward looking.

WhiteStone said...

So much, so many years, expressed in so few condensed words.

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

Thank you for sharing this part of yourself with us. Bless you.

Jennifer Richardson said...

My heart aches over the pain
of your breaking.
And yet it marvels at the beauty
in it, also.
Such overwhelming almost
breathtaking beauty.
I don't understand such things.
But I see the beauty
and my heart skips a beat or two
in wonder.
And I'm grateful that you shared.
And that He is faithful
and there
even though I can't wrap my brain
around the whys.
But I'm honored to have read
your story,
so beautifully and honestly written
from such a stunning heart.
Tears and kisses,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Heart-wrenching and beautiful. I have goosebumps, and a lump in my throat.

Vicky said...

So honest and achingly beautiful. One of my favorite Hemingway quotes is this one "The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places." I would add, beautiful, and strong. Thanking God for your sweet soul today. Blessings, Susan

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, hauntingly, beautiful post. I feel your pain and feel your tears and yet I know, like me, you reach out for the God who heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

Heidi said...

Beautiful. Praising Jesus for your ability to write out your pain in such a beautiful way and for your heart to share it with all of us.

Caroline said...

Oh my...beautifully written.

What Karen Sees said...

All the words have been spoken in the above comments. You are a strong, noble and very talented woman. Sharing yourself is a gift and an inspiration to all of us.

Michelle DeRusha said...

Susan, I am grateful and honored for this glimpse into your heart and soul. Thank you for your courage here.

Duane Scott said...

I'm stunned. I'm so sorry. But I love the verse you posted.

This was one of my favorite, but sad posts by you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Susan, no words only tears, and some day there won't be those anymore either. Thank you for sharing this... thankfully when we are weak He is strong!

Anne Lang Bundy said...

My RSS feed is jammed. But I was unwilling to miss a single one of your posts. I am so glad I did not this one.

Because I've felt in your spirit for so long this brokenness. And I hoped in time you'd share pieces of it.

Thank you, Susan, for the gift of yourself.