"The snow has quietness in it."
Anne Sexton
* * *
quietude |ˈkwīəˌt(y)oōd|
noun
a state of stillness, calmness, and quiet
noun
a state of stillness, calmness, and quiet
in a person or place
ORIGIN late 16th cent.: from French quiétude
or medieval Latin quietudo,
from Latin quietus ‘quiet.’
dictionary
* * *
it's a light snow
a hint of things to come
30 comments:
Quietude is such a wonderful word.
Sending peace and joy your way
Helen xx
How very pretty. I hope you and Callie will enjoy the evening.
We woke up to snow today, too. Just a light dusting, but it changed everything.
What Deidra said is true. When I woke up early today I was shocked to see the snow [out of the window, not getting up officially], and it had been so windy yesterday and last night it was rather frightening. But, I've stayed in the house all day and don't know when I have to go out when it's icy and cold. Saw that quite a number of people were in car accidents today b/c of the icy situation, too. Sorry to yammer so long, but hope you are OK and stay OK. That's what counts!
Wow...you are really getting it aren't you? It is SO lovely! The quote is so true...there is such quietness about snow...when the ground is covered it seems to insulate the earth and act as a buffer. Beautiful quietness...beautiful snow! Stay warm, my friend!
I;m not really ready for snow, but it is sure lovely, isn't it?
The snow brings with it a stillness over all the land.
It's been snowing here for a few days now. It hasn't amounted to much but it does indeed look wintery!
Happy November!
xo Catherine
It looks like a sweet painting. To me, a light snow is the best snow! I hope that is all you get.
The first snows are so beautiful and peaceful…We haven't had any yet but it's probably around the corner….
How lovely. I don't know if I should envy your snow and feel bad for the harsh temperatures, for surely there is more to come. Stay snugly!
Lovely photo and beautiful word. We just had our first light snow last night.
I have not experienced much snow but the quietness of it is one of the things I have noticed.
Simply gorgeous, Susan!
Perfect Title, oh my snow if this is your morning. If so stay warm and enjoy, I think way too early for cold like this.
Your quiet is quite beautiful..
The first snows are always so pure and beautiful. Wishing you, as always, a deep and peaceful quietude in your soul.
Oh, boy! I'm not quite ready for that...your post reminds me to change my attitude.
I love that word quietitude, I feel calm when I just listen
The "blanketing" of white has indeed arrived. I am trying to muster up some ideas on how to make it through once again. It transforms my life in such remarkable. Quietude is a great word and definitely goes hand in hand with snow.
This is beautiful, Susan!
Winter. I don't think I'm ready!
Yes it is so peaceful and a quietness does descend when snow falls lightly. I love your image, it's so beautiful and it speaks to me.
Wishing you a beautifully quiet weekend!
This is the kind of snow I like - quiet, forming a blanket over the landscape. We don't have any yet, but I know it's coming. If only we could choose the kind of snow we get!
When I first moved to Utah from California, I was struck by how silent snow is. How quiet and muffled the world gets. The fog is like that too sometimes.
so beautiful Susan… one of my favorite words… I look forward to snow and the softness it brings to sound, to the riot of color slowly disappearing. I'm ready for quietude.
A word I've never thought about...so descriptive, isn't it? And the snow definitely quiets the world.
The snow has quietness in it....how absolutely beautiful.
Yes. I want to be like snow:)
thank you,
Jennifer
Oh, this is LOVELY... and I love that special "quiet" that snow seems to possess! Many thanks for your very kind comment. I won't be posting anymore, for now, but I will still be visiting my friends, so no worries--I'll still be around! ;o) And who knows what's next! Happy Days ((HUGS))
Post a Comment