Monday, October 13, 2014

Stonecrop Plant ~



this particular sedum
(stonecrop plant)
is named
the color intensifies
as the days grow shorter
the first photo was taken September 14
the last two were taken October 13
*  *  *
"One of the sanest, surest, and most
generous joys of life comes from being
happy over the good fortune of others."
Robert A. Heinlein
*  *  *
 Consider it wholly joyful, my brethren,
 whenever you are enveloped in or encounter
 trials of any sort or fall into various temptations.
Be assured and understand
 that the trial and proving of your faith
 bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience.
James 1:2-3
*  *  *
"Stonecrop" is from the Middle English and literally means
 "sprouting from the stone,"
 a reference to its commonly being seen
 growing amongst stones 
(which provide the drainage that stonecrop plants crave). 
from link above

21 comments:

Vicky said...

Such an insightful post. I have seen this plant often- but did not know its name or propensity to grow more colorful later in the season. Thank you for sharing- and I love the bible verses as well.

Lisa Gordon said...

A beautiful color and so perfectly named, Susan.

Bethany Carson said...

Beautiful photos and very good quotes!

Jennifer Richardson said...

I love Autumn joy
and your storytelling makes it come alive to me even more with
lifegiving whispers....THANK you:)
So grateful for your storytelling gift....you really make life more
special:)
-Jennifer

Ruth Hiebert said...

These are some of the prettiest Autumn Joy I have ever seen.

Beth said...

Such a cool and vivrant plant! Love the intensifying colors. Terrific quote and scripture also! :>)

Maryann said...

These sedum are just beutiful such a great flower to give you such color for a such a long period of time and I just love the bird on your header

Ginny Hartzler said...

What an amazing plant! I wonder if they sell it in garden centers? I really like your grasshopper, it is a wonderful photo!

elizabeth said...

I'll have to try this plant!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

it is beautiful from first to last.. and a new sedum for me.. i like the name stonecrop and for once the name makes sense since it like to grow in stones.. like that grasshopper to...

Gayle said...

I have never seen this before, but I do love it. The shades of pink are just gorgeous.

Unknown said...

So Beautiful...

Debby Ray said...

What a lovely plant! I have seen this before but didn't know the name...a beautiful contrast with that cute little grasshopper. Lovely words as well :)

Nancy said...

Autumn Joy is certainly the perfect name for this beautiful plant….Who could not be joyful in the presence of such beauty….

Relyn Lawson said...

My neighbor just gave me some sedum, but I haven't gotten it planted yet. You have motivated me.

Joan Elizabeth said...

What an interesting plant. I have never seen it. Spring is progressing as normal here lurching from summer sunshine to winter snow. Hopefully back warm again soon.

Tracy said...

Such a lovely name for a plant... I love the pink! ;o) And wonderful Bible passage to take with me into the day... Thank you, Susan ((HUGS))

Anita Johnson said...

Have I mentioned to you that we grow sedum for a living...mostly the shorter varieties. We too have Autumn Joy, but not even one bloom survived the pruning by our deer. These pictures remind me of what I am missing...beautiful!

beth said...

one of my favorite plants come fall!!!

Mersad said...

Love the dots of red.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

caryjo said...

I LOVE this. Made me smile and truly fill with joy. Thanks.