Saturday, February 22, 2014

Can You Beat That ~

 we're all
in this together
 and it is nice
to have a friend
by your side
when you are
feeling
 beat-up
and
 broken
or when you just need
something fun to do
*  *  *
I have a friend that raises chickens
and one of the chickens lays blue eggs
the shell is blue inside and out
*  *  *
the eggbeater
has a patent date
of
 October, 1923
it belonged to my grandmother
and still works just fine
*  *  *
There is a friend
that sticketh closer
than a brother. 
Proverbs 18:24



35 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

Those blue eggs are just gorgeous and what a creative sequence.

Maureen said...

Love the old beater. I have a friend who collects old kitchen tools.

Interesting, the egg colors looks green online. Is the color just nature's way or something about food eaten?

caryjo said...

As usual, you grabbed hearts, filled with smiles, and rejoicing. What a treat to see this!

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely post, Susan. How unique to have the blue eggs and what a treasure the egg beater is. Wonderful words and gorgeous photos. Blessings to you.

S. Etole said...

Maureen, I think it is just that particular breed of chicken as they all eat the same thing.

The colors in photos sometimes change when I pull them into Blogger and FB. It can be a little frustrating. The blue eggs in the carton did vary in degree of color. The first egg seemed to photograph the bluest.

Anonymous said...

beeeutiful colours!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those blue eggs almost look like Robin eggs,except larger.

Debbie said...

A great friend and such pretty eggs!!

Barbara said...

These are such beautiful images. I love the blue eggs and that old beater!

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

Wonderful post today.
Uplifting
in its own unique way.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

until I got to the last of the post I thought you were into dyeing your eggs early... that last shot of the blue egg is wonderful. all of the photos are so beautiful and i smiled really big when you said or something fun to do... you had fun and we did to..never heard of blue eggs before. i will spread the word

Breathtaking said...

So true Susan! Where would we be without true friends. A very clever way of presenting your post. I have always heard the expression eggshell blue, but never seen any blue shells until now.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I'm always in search of farm fresh eggs- especially brown ones...but I don't think I have ever seen blue ones. Love the old beater- what a treasure!

theconstantwalker said...

Love these images... many thanks for your kind words. xx

Ann Kroeker said...

These photos are marvelous! You are truly gifted (and your story here delights).

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Incredible! Great captures and thought-provoking words (as always).

Tracy said...

beat up and broken... and I guess we're all like in some ways. Friends help us to pull ourselves together and keep going. :o) This is sweet, Susan... And LOVELIEST colors these eggs...*swoon*... Happy Day ((HUGS))

Linda P said...

You can buy those eggs here. They look really pretty. I wonder what you cooked using the wonderful old eggbeater?

Anita Johnson said...

We have friends that give us eggs too, they picked their chickens by the color of the eggs they lay. So pretty, aren't they? And the yolks are so deep in color. Friends are wonderful. And what a friend we have in Jesus.

Mersad said...

Love ornate instruments like this one. They are great to use or just have as a decoration.

Lisa Gordon said...

))))))))Jumping up and down(((((((((
I have this egg beater! It belonged to my grandparents. It still works just fine too.

Blue eggs??? How neat is that???
Different is good! :-)

Jennifer Richardson said...

oh friend.
the stories you weave
with your well chosen words
and images
are living art in the sweetest
and purest sense
and I'm SO grateful
to be welcome here
at your door:)
thank you,
Jennifer

Anna said...

So very clever, Susan! And, the color of those eggs - remarkable!

Goat said...

Love the egg images. The shape of an egg draws you back--perhaps it's the perfection, smooth and elongated.The colors are terrific. Especially broken where you see the secret--blue inside and out. No mask. Love it.

Kass said...

Great post. Love Jennifer's poem. So true for me too.

simply bev said...

I have several of my grandmother's kitchen utensils and I use them often. I especially love pulling out her old wooden rolling pin when we're making cookies. I think of her whenever I use them and I'm sure that's just the way she'd like it!

Leslie said...

This has so many layers of truth and beauty. I adore that color blue. Reminds me of that bit in the Cary Grant/Myrna Loy movie, "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," where Myrna is giving instructions to the painter:

Muriel Blandings: I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green. Now, the dining room. I'd like yellow. Not just yellow; a very gay yellow. Something bright and sunshine-y. I tell you, Mr. PeDelford, if you'll send one of your men to the grocer for a pound of their best butter, and match that exactly, you can't go wrong! Now, this is the paper we're going to use in the hall. It's flowered, but I don't want the ceiling to match any of the colors of the flowers. There's some little dots in the background, and it's these dots I want you to match. Not the little greenish dot near the hollyhock leaf, but the little bluish dot between the rosebud and the delphinium blossom. Is that clear? Now the kitchen is to be white. Not a cold, antiseptic hospital white. A little warmer, but still, not to suggest any other color but white. Now for the powder room - in here - I want you to match this thread, and don't lose it. It's the only spool I have and I had an awful time finding it! As you can see, it's practically an apple red. Somewhere between a healthy winesap and an unripened Jonathan. Oh, excuse me...

Mr. PeDelford: You got that Charlie?

Charlie, Painter: Red, green, blue, yellow, white.

Mr. PeDelford: Check.

Unknown said...

Oh my, this is a fabulous series! What I wouldn't give to find eggs like those beauties! Wonderful photos!

Lucille said...

Such pretty colours. Funnily enough the ones that are hardest to find these days are white ones. Brown eggs were thought to be healthier and so the producers made sure we got them! When the boys were younger we wanted white ones to dye for Easter and could never find any.

Debby said...

My very best friends don't mind the fact that I'm a little cracked, and often scrambled.

Valerie Kamikubo said...

I love the images here in this post. There's such warmth in them.

Relyn Lawson said...

How utterly and completely marvelous. Both your post and the blue egss. I am sitting here in happy delight just now. And longing for a bunch of blue shells of my own, to tell the truth.

Nava said...

Wonderful !! Love the eggs and the thoughts! The egg beater-- :)

SimplyDarlene said...

the sparseness of that last image is divine. what beauty & what a testament to our Creator that you've captured… all at once strong and fragile, like us.

blessings.

cristie said...

yes to this and the many wonderful comments. xox