Sunday, January 20, 2013

Don't Needle Me! ~

 He sampled the oak tree
 but chose the elm
 Callie and I are giving him
a wide berth.
*  *  *
Diplomacy:
  The business of handling a porcupine
 without disturbing the quills.
anonymous
*  *  *
 
 

43 comments:

Sandra Heska King said...

Oh, Susan! What luck to see him right outside the window! Awesome photos--and your captions make me giggle.

We saw one next to a path while hiking in the Rockies, and my husband saw one when he went hiking alone in Traverse City while I was in a meeting. We didn't get any photos. :(

Ruth Hiebert said...

He looks like a healthy animal.Yes,I would give him all the room he wants.

Patricia said...

Wow!! What a great shoot!! Goodness, I'm glad Callie was inside!! I have never seen one before... can't believe you caught him in broad daylight, so out in the open and all. Good job!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen one so the pics are fascinating to me. Yes, you girls give him plenty of room!!!

Nancy said...

From the way he was eyeing you, I am sure it was a great idea to give him plenty of room.....How wonderful though to get such a close picture of him....He is cute..

Mary said...

You capture the most amazing photos! Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

You have a regular zoo outside your window!

Susan said...

How awesome to catch these photos!

Muffy's Marks said...

Cute little bugger. Amazing photos!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my goodness!!! You must live WAY out in the suburbs!!! I think the most I have seen like this are beavers, skunks, and groundhogs.

Ginny Hartzler said...

P.S. And I have NEVER been able to get a picture of any of them!!!

Carol Garvin said...

Wonderful photos of him and so nice to be able to get them from inside. I'd definitely be keeping a good distance, too. They aren't pleasant to encounter up close!

Dagmar said...

Woow. That's a big one! Is it? And your pictures are so sharp and clean. What a treath to have him walking over your property close enough for you to catch him.
Enjoy the sun my friend.
Hugs Dagmar

Tracy said...

Whoa there fella... Isn't he splendid, in a scary sort of way? LOL... Those quills are big and long! Can see why you & Callie are staying in these days. ;o) Happy Week, Susan ((HUGS))

Patricia said...

Awesome photos, Susan. I don't remember ever seeing one in the wild.

And I just LOVE the way the LORD brings these opportunities to you...knowing you will share them with the rest of us. XOX

Christine said...

Yes, I agree with Patricia. Thank you Lord for bringing Susan these delicious opportunities to capture your glory!

Louise Gallagher said...

Ellie, the wonder pooch, wasn't as smart as you and Callie. She thought she could get up real close and personal.

I'm hoping she's learned her lesson the next time we encounter one on a walk.

Fabulous photos btw!

Maureen said...

Amazing animal. That last photo is wonderful (he looks so big!).

Marilyn Miller said...

How exciting to see a porcupine nearby. I don't think I have ever seen one. A wide berth is a good idea.

Anita Johnson said...

I would love to see one in the wild like that! great photos!

Connie Smiley said...

Great shots! Not sure I'd want to get that close. Your comments are always encouraging. Thanks!

Linda said...

We had a dog who had a close encounter with a porcupine Susan. It wasn't pretty! Much better to observe from a distance :-)

Debbie said...

ooohhh he's just so darn cute!!

lucky you to spot him and get such amazing pictures!!

ps, loved the clever title ;)))

Claudia said...

oh Susan, you do get all kinds up north there don't you! These are some great shots as always :)

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

These are really good photos...and it is a porcupine, rare I think

Mari said...

Wow! Amazing pictures!

Jennifer Richardson said...

oh my eyes!
what a glorious treat
you were given!!!
thank you thank you for sharing
this comical little fellow
with us, Susan:):):)
oh he is wonderful,
Jennifer

Unknown said...

Awww. What a cute little fella. Your photos have me smiling.

Hugs~

rjerdee said...

Funny!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! What a visitor you had! Glad you and kitty stayed far away!
xo Catherine

Katherines Corner said...

oh my goodness. He is a spiny visitor. Great photos love the quote too, Hugs!

Vicky said...

The kids were wide-eyed when I showed them this! What entertainment and such an unusual sighting for sure. Good for you for capturing it!

Lisa Gordon said...

Don't think I'd want to get too close, but he surely is a cutie, Susan. These photographs are wonderful.

Happy day to you!
xo.

Anna said...

What wonderful captures, Susan! I'd steer clear of this character, too.
Boy, doesn't this weather leave lots to be desired?!

Justine said...

oh my goodness, is that normal to see a porcupine in your garden? wow I have never seen one close up, great shots!

Joan Elizabeth said...

I have never seen a candid photo of a porcupine. We have a prickly animal here which we called porcupines as kids but they are actually quite a different breed -- echidnas. I have got some photos of them in the wild, usually crossing the road.

joyce said...

How cool is that!! I have never seen one, don't believe they live in this neck of the woods. Great photos, especially the last one.

Rick said...

Fantastic photos, Susan - and a nice twist on a familiar quote.

Unfortunately our dog has not learned that 'diplomacy' lesson - she's had 4 encounters of the worst kind with porcupines so we are the ones who need to be wary for her.

Leslie said...

I like that second photo a lot. Such a funny little face he has. Wouldn't want to rile, him, though...

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

:)

Love this.

caryjo said...

WOW!! Have seen sloths and so many other bits. Don't remember one of these. Glad you were in and not out and about and couldn't move away in time.

cristie said...

never in my whole live long life seen one. xox

Anonymous said...

Fascinating!