Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Well-Worn ~

"A man without
a mustache
is like
a
cup of tea
without sugar."
English Proverb 
*  *  *
 It's been said
my great-grandfather
drank from this cup with
the handle worn and the rim
used smooth, his mustache safe
from the contents it held
 whether coffee or tea
with or without
sugar or cream.
*  *  *
 
 

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this, Susan!

diana said...

What a gift to have this lovely cup, Susan. And I thank you for sharing it with us so beautifully.

HisFireFly said...

this is priceless Susan!
I take my tea sans sugar
but my man has a fantastic mustache!

ju-north said...

Such a beautiful vintage cup!

Patrinas Pencil said...

it is a treasure...but I disagree with the proverb :)

Lisa Gordon said...

This is wonderful, Susan, and how fortunate you are to have this treasure!

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Although I love mustaches on most men, I had to laugh at the quote--my husband hates facial hair and some years ago he had to have some major surgery so I begged him to grow a mustache while he would be home from work for a time.

It was truly hideous and I would say who he looked like but I don't want to insult someone else.

I've never seen a cup like this before--very interesting!

Maureen said...

Well, this made me curious, so I googled and learned you can still get mustache cups. Apparently, they were the rage between 1850 and 1900. It delights me that someone would think up a cup that would keep the hair out of the liquid (or vice-versa).

The Furry Gnome said...

That's one fancy moustache cup! I have a couple of new ones (and a moustache).

Susan said...

What a beautiful Post.

Muffy's Marks said...

Beautiful post. That delicate cup is a far cry from the coffee mugs used today.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

How wonderful. My parents always drank coffee from tea cups. We will always treasure them.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The cups are lovely and a great keepsake.

caryjo said...

WOW! I'm impressed. The cups you have are so neat! I love them so often. And you share so beautifully.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tea-cup. My mom made a tea-cup wreath for me after my grandmother died out of the tea-cups I gave her through the years. I kept one aside for myself that I use - and I may drink coffee or tea in it with or without sugar - but no mustache:)

Beautiful memory here!

Breathtaking said...

We are always so concerned with hygiene that I can't think why these practical cups are not in use today.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - that is one fancy mustache cup! Very pretty!
xo Catherine

Vicky said...

Delightful! I don't know that I knew about these cups at all- very clever. So neat that you have one!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

this is beautiful and I have never seen or even heard of a mustache cup...bob could use one, a mug though...

cristie said...

fascinating to me. i have never seen anything like this before. xox

Debbie said...

what a beautiful treasure!!

simply bev said...

I saw a beautiful mustache cup in an antique shop this past weekend and wondered about the person that it once belonged to. Now to see your post. Lovely coincidence!

Anonymous said...

my grandpa would pour his too-hot coffee into his saucer for the first few sips, and he would also dunk his toast in his coffee.

Barbara said...

One gorgeous edit and one gorgeous cup

Unknown said...

How unique. I have never seen or herd of anything like this. A treasure for sure.

Tracy said...

What a beauitful cup... and practical too! ;o) I've seen ones like those a time or two at antique fairs--very clever design! Fun when you share family treasures, Susan--thank you. Happy Days ((HUGS))

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Well that's practical! Pretty cup too.

Leslie said...

What a lovely memory, and what beautiful china (I love mustache cups - they make me smile :)

Marilyn Miller said...

What a very pretty cup. I had never thought to share the one I have. One day maybe I will.