Friday, February 7, 2014

Unbuttoned ~

If thou must love me, let it be for nought
Except for love's sake only. Do not say
'I love her for her smile ... her look ... her way
Of speaking gently, ... for a trick of thought
That falls in well with mine, and certes brought
A sense of pleasant ease on such a day'
For these things in themselves, Beloved, may
Be changed, or change for thee,

--and love, so wrought,
May be unwrought so.
"
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
poem in its entirety
(a little click will enlarge)
the how
of love spoken
here
*  *  *
as Valentine's Day
(February 14)
approaches I am reminded
that it may have begun
as a liturgical celebration
to honor those Christian saints
 who had been martyred
rather than a day for romanticized love
accompanied by the giving of
 candy, flowers, and cards

love lived well requires sacrifice
the unbuttoning of hearts and sleeves
for those we know and for those we don't know
*  *  *
chocolates and flowers
never hurt of course
!  !  !
a brief
and somewhat
controversial history
 here

32 comments:

Leslie said...

Beautiful, Susan. Is that a close-up of a wedding dress?

Dawning Inspiration said...

Hi there - I've missed reading your writing!! beautiful image!

Maureen said...

Lovely.

Marilyn Miller said...

Hadn't heard of the martyrdom. Interesting thoughts for Valentine's. I do hope you get the flowers and chocolates.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I do like all those buttons on that dress, beautiful photo and it speaks of love

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Beautiful wedding dress photo and Elizabeth Barrett Browning is my favorite!

Brandee Shafer said...

beautiful photo

Debbie said...

so true!! your image is beautiful, i love those tiny, white buttons. i also enjoy thinking about the lovely lady who wore that dress. was it you??

Anonymous said...

unbuttoning sleeves... and rolling them up.

S. Etole said...

Leslie, it is a close-up of the sleeve of the wedding dress I wore many, many years ago.

Debbie, yes, it was my dress.

caryjo said...

Wow! You shared words and the photo and so much very beautifully. Touched many hearts.

Ruth Hiebert said...

You have great talent in putting a picture and words together to make a very meaningful post.

Sheila said...

Unbuttoned hearts. I'll be reflecting on that one. Such beauty here. I want to ask my seven year old grandson what he thinks about that. :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post.
God bless your weekend.

Kamana said...

beautiful image.

Waldameise Andrea said...

Einfach zauberhaft.

Hab ein schönes Wochenende!

Joan Elizabeth said...

I really like EBBs poems but I think like even more photo of lace and covered buttons.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Love Browning's poetry- and the lace on your dress is beautiful..I imagine the whole dress is stunning. Have a blessed weekend!

Lisa Gordon said...

This photograph is beautiful, Susan, and your words to go with it, equally so.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful image both of the dress and of the thought; unbuttoning. Thank you Susan - loved it -

Muffy's Marks said...

Lovely post. You've inspired me to get a few shots of the lace on my wedding dress. A project for this summer!!! Have a fantastic weekend.

Breathtaking said...

Such a beautiful and romantic post, from Elizabeth Browing's poem, to your lovely soft images of the sleeve of your wedding dress.

Mersad said...

Love the very delicate image and the softness in it. Great writing to go with it too.

Kaya said...

Beautiful writing! And a very beautiful and gentle image! And poetic! This is a very lyrical post!

Mrs. E said...

Just lovely!

Unknown said...

So beautiful my friend..

Hugs~

Beth said...

A lovely photo to illustrate the poem and your thoughts. Beautiful.

A needed message to me. Thank you.

Susan Cowger said...

Lovely words!!! "love lived well requires sacrifice." Those words will stick with me. That is the crux of the matter, isn't it. Thank you for posting this.

Rick said...

A lovely poem by EBB, but nothing defines so well as the text you referenced.

Carol Garvin said...

Beautiful image and so many good bits to contemplate! I love Elizabeth Barrett Browning... even had a Sheltie whose registered name included the 'Elizabeth Barrett' part, and we nicknamed her 'Sonnet'. :)

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

Relyn Lawson said...

The image is so beautiful. Is it a family wedding dress?