Pussy Willow
ORIGIN mid 19th cent.:
originally a child's word,
because of the resemblance of the soft fluffy catkins
to a cat's fur.
Before the male catkins of these species
come into full flower
they are covered in fine, grayish fur,
leading to a fancied likeness
to tiny cats.
The catkins appear long before the leaves,
and are
one of the earliest signs of spring.
At other times of the year
trees of most of these species
are usually known by their ordinary names.
wikipedia
wikipedia


41 comments:
Beautiful images! Thanks so much for the info, Susan.
Haven't heard the term catkins, in a long time.
Of course, majestic photography!
Gentle hugs...
Such pretty photos.
Oh Susan - how delightful! I was just telling my Mom the other day that one of the things I miss about springtime in the north is Pussy Willows. Thank you for these. I can almost feel the softness through the screen!
Delicate beauty . . . thanks for sharing!
I love and miss pussywillows... and am happy for your signs of spring : )
hope you dream
to the sound
of their purring
until the evenings warm
where you are:)
-Jennifer
Ah yes,these first signs of spring.They are such a welcome sight.
I love those, and you captured them well.
I've also loved that word "catkins". As a child, I used to gather up bunches of the budding branches. We don't see them here so much any more.
Yours are a lot further along than ours. Ours are just starting to bud out, even though there is still 2 feet of snow at the base.
I always enjoy seeing them... and we just don't have any here... have brought them home from there before and kept them for some long time. Miss it...
They are my table centerpiece now! But other names? I thought a pussy willow was the name of the bush?
I've loved pussy willows since I first saw them as a child when a classmate brought a vase full for the teacher.
How lovely!
We have a vase full of them right now. It's the first thing my girls do when the snow starts melting, they see if they can get at the branches to bring indoors.
Oh, one of my most favorite plants, and one which I so rarely see or touch anymore! Thank you for the education of this plant and name. I am a word person and love to know this kind of thing!
Beautiful photographs too! I could just reach out and touch a catkin! : )
May your day be soft and fluffy, ~ linda
gee, i sure would love to run across something that lovely in my travels. thanks for sharing sue. xox
I hadn't seen that word 'catkins' for so long ... but our pussy willows are covered in them too. What a beautiful sign of spring and reminder of God's faithfulness.
Also enjoyed your post about the crown of life !
i just adore this soft little buds.
they are super cool.
Nice images and an interesting post.
Lovely shots of these. They make such lovely arrangements. I liked reading the background too, Susan. I never know what I'm going to learn from my blogger friends! :)
I enlarged the top one to see what was in the lower left-hand corner--a leaf maybe? But it looks like a teeny tiny version of a kitty. Were you having some fun with us or is my imagination working over time? Either way, I think it's fun!
Oh and I loved the crown you saved of your mother's--such a wonderful and lovely keepsake. I still have my mother's veil--precious memories.
My Mum loved the Pussy Willow catkins. Our tree eventually blew over in a big storm ,,, amazing how big trees are when they are on the ground instead of standing up.
So HAPPY spring is arriving there... I love the sight of pussy willows, so sweet they are! :o) Happy Day, Susan ((HUGS))
I haven't seen a pussy willow in years!!
xo Catherine
I remember the first time I saw Pussy Willow--a class in elementary school. I still go back to that day when I see them. These are beautiful shots, and it's so good to see early signs of spring!
truly beautiful and thanks for all the info, lots of things i did not know
I've never heard that term. Thanks for the learnin' today.
As always, the images are grande. What is behind and out of focus? How did you do that? It almost looks as if you were moving. Perhaps it's water and a reflection.
Blessings.
What a lovely gift! New knowledge. I feel the need to run back and check for catkins, which is how I will think of the Pussy Willow from now on:). A sign of spring is definitely something which would lift my spirits!
It's water behind the pussy willows and the reflections of a tree trunk.
Oh yes, please let these be a sign of spring- a lovely sign that it is going to come and stay :)
An essential complement to those Easter memories. Beautiful photos!
Beautiful images Susan!
Pussy willows are the enchantments of my childhood...I haven't seen any lately because I'm never in the right place at the right time...so thank you for these furry little images :)
I too never heard of Catkins, but always knew them as Pussy willow. Beautiful photos once again.
Susan,
Thanks for stopping by:) Hope you have a wonderful Easter.
Jeff
a favorite ..so delicate and whimsical ~
And we're still waiting for our catkins to appear!
Soon.
Very soon.
I hope.
wonderful photos. I love the explination.
I must go snip some in the morning.
Post a Comment