Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Watch Your Step ~


are
there
steps
we can take
to
preserve the past

as
we live
in
the present
and
prepare
for
the future
~ ~ ~
the
steps above
led to the door
of
a country school
that
my father attended
in
the early 1900's
~ ~ ~
I have a suspicion
you would enjoy
the thoughts
Glynn
shares
in a post
entitled
MOURNING THE SHEEP


29 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

How cool and my Dad said he just had a flashback, whatever that is.

Anonymous said...

I love how you have the font on your photo ~ so very 'old school'! Love it! I find so many people no longer know how to write very well. No one uses hand-writing anymore. Rather sad isn't it?

Maureen said...

Wonderful, Susan, especially how you work in a reference to Glynn and, as Catherine notes, reproduce the lined paper some of us recall all too well (I rebelled silently against its use).

I always find so poignant an image such as yours in which only some physical fragment remains, in this case the steps are left behind to go nowhere, though perhaps they are a key to the memory needing only a nudge. Steps especially I find haunting.

Connie said...

Wow..what a great and special picture this is!

Glenda said...

As a retired teacher, I really like this post! I wonder how many feet made their way up those steps . . . and if those steps could talk, can you imagine the stories of conversations that took place as students sat there!

nadia said...

i wanted to let you know how beautifully soft and lovely your header is!

cristie said...

would it not be cool to sit in a time machine perched right in front of those steps...oh to imagine. xox

Kass said...

I have a special affection for venerable things. My house is full of antiques. I love old buildings, cars, objects. I am saddened when these things are callously destroyed for shiny, new, more convenient things.

Cynthia L. H. said...

Yes, there are.
Beautiful...
Thank you.
;^)
C

Glynn said...

Thank you, Susan, for the link. Memories are more precious once what we remember is gone or changed.

Anonymous said...

i did enjoy glynn's post...
as well as yours.

Rick said...

Thank you for the post and photo - they brought back instant memories of my brief time (1 year) in a 1-room, 8-grade country school, with 1 teacher. It's where I first learned to print - with pen, ink, and blotter, and always neatly on the lines, as you've done.

joyce said...

I think it would be neat to stand on the steps of my parents' old haunts. Or even my own.
I like the font you used as well...what is it called?

Memories Of Mine said...

enjoyed both posts.

Life changes fast than we think and often all we have left is a few photographs and the memories in our head.

I only realized the importance to my family's life in photographs after the passing of my dad and having very little to hold onto.

Mrs. E said...

Our country is dotted with steps just like those. The remainder and reminder of schools that were such a part of our community!

Tracy said...

Wonderful post, Glynn wrote... and your thoughts and images pair so nicely, Susan. The house across the street from where I grew up was a converted brick school house dating from the Civil War that also served as church at one time... in the backyard was a small cemetery! This all brings back memories... Happy Day :o) ((HUGS))

S. Etole said...

Joyce, the font is called Schoolhouse Printed A.

Louise Gallagher said...

Beautiful post susan. I am always in awe of people who have roots in communities that are grounded in the past. Even knowing the steps where your father went to school is to me, amazing!

And yes, I remember the lined paper!

Louise

SimplyDarlene said...

I just scanned a photo into my computer of my husband's NB roots. A schoolhouse photo from 1937-38 (grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, family friends--all in the same snapshot) gives such glimpse of history. Our story. HisStory. So amazing.

Thank you for sharing this.
Blessings.

Jeff Jordan said...

Susan,
Great picture of that "place" Glynn wrote about.

Vicky said...

Gosh, everyone is giving me such good food for thought today. I'd like to think my blog is a bit of the preservation of the past... all the stories, and events and emotions at a precise moment in time.

Very neat to have the foundation of the building still intact! I too can't help but wonder about all the people that have passed that way...

ELK said...

the steps are intriguing and are left from another time which you so beautifully illustrated...my eyes were drawn to the sky.trees as well...

rjerdee said...

Thanks for the link to Mourning The Sheep -- enjoyed it!

beth said...

i love the photo and thank you so much for checking on me....i am finally feeling better even though my voice still sounds like that of a 15 year old boy....

Anonymous said...

thanks for the link. enjoyed that. and you. and always.

Beth said...

Of course this school teacher would love this entry! I agee with the reader who liked your "touch" on the picture --where it looked like you had written on that "special" paper so many of us remember! Clever.

suzanna said...

what an interesting picture... little reflections to the past always interest me!

Sandra Heska King said...

Your suspicion was right. I did.

My husband went to a country school. His dad may have gone there, too. It still stands. For now.

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

Interesting how the past always intertwines with our present. And may it always.