Thursday, November 12, 2009

Miss Raggedy ~

Raggedy Ann~

Five
I was
when
she arrived
unexpected
in the mail
a time
{materialistically speaking}
when
we had very little
“Don’t take her outside
or she’ll get dirty,”
I heard
as she and I
ran out the door
to explore
  the trees
  the creek
  to feel the wind

Five
I was
when
the
heart sorrow
of disobedience
was felt
  no spanking
  no corner time
  no harsh words
just
“Where did you drop her?”
as
we tried
to clean
the fine
silty
dirt
from
  her face
  her hands
  her pretty dress
her pinafore

 forgiveness
given and received
yet
the stain
of disobedience
lingers on
Five
I was




12 comments:

Steve Gravano said...

Beautiful words today.

Pugelicious said...

I think she has survived remarkably well. How special to have this beautiful doll in your life. I still have my first doll too, but she looks tired. Your post has prompted me to spruce her up.

Sandy K. said...

Beautiful...and so true. We give our children little life lessons and they still have to learn on their own. I have some memories of early times of disobedience as well. Lessons learned.

Thank you for this lovely bit of reminiscence.

e.o.w. said...

I just love that description of running through the woods with her under your arm, these simple joys that fill us so completely, and remain etched in our minds, in our hearts so that we may remember...
I imagine Miss Raggedy Ann might have savored the dirt soaking into her dress, so rich with life...

Dagmar said...

I can tell you love her stains and all there's to her. Gorgeous post my friend.

Jewels said...

Oh, she is so cute!

Cynthia L. H. said...

This is a beautiful poem and a wonderful post! I've always loved Raggedy Ann. I did not have one when I was young (I had LOTS of other dolls...) but I always wanted one, so I started buying them whenever I found them. I have several, but they are in boxes in storage now. ;^(
You have inspired me to find them and sit them out again!
;^)

Tammie Lee said...

sweet and tender memories. Thank you for sharing!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Lessons learned are always the ones that stay with us....

pearlie said...

Wow ... love your poem.
And it holds so true with our live with God - like we stay five all our life.

spread your wings said...

this is powerful!

Unknown said...

Gosh, you say so much....
This is so beautiful